Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)

Default Pope's Oct. 7 letter citing antisemitic verse is a disaster for Jewish-Catholic relat

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)

Problem with Catholics is that they are really not into Biblical arguments. They wouldn't pick up his argument why the passage is so bad, in his opinion. I think it's telling that he feels affinity with Francis, at least until this citation; while Catholics are really not keen on Francis at all.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Problem with Catholics is that they are really not into Biblical arguments. They wouldn't pick up his argument why the passage is so bad, in his opinion. I think it's telling that he feels affinity with Francis, at least until this citation; while Catholics are really not keen on Francis at all.
    I'll have to read it again. I'm not sure I have where this person is coming from. Being neither Catholic nor Jewish, perhaps his fears are beyond my level of giving a crap?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)

I must have been half-asleep first time I read it. So this guy is a Jew who teaches at a Catholic school (I find that interesting in and of itself). There is apparently a historical meaning to a citation by John that Catholics at some point used to condemn all Jews. While I have been aware that some Christians blame the persecution and execution of Christ on Jews, I was not aware that scripture was used in an attempt to validate it.

What I was taught is that the Pharisees were responsible for Christ's execution. The Pharisees being the usual church bureaucrats like any other bureaucrats doing things in the name of God to enrich themselves. Like current government, any representation of the people is purely coincidence.

The scripture having the historical impact assumed by the author, rather tone deaf of the Pope to use it, even if well-intended.

People hate each other for the stupidest reasons

8. Likes revelarts liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I must have been half-asleep first time I read it. So this guy is a Jew who teaches at a Catholic school (I find that interesting in and of itself). There is apparently a historical meaning to a citation by John that Catholics at some point used to condemn all Jews. While I have been aware that some Christians blame the persecution and execution of Christ on Jews, I was not aware that scripture was used in an attempt to validate it.

What I was taught is that the Pharisees were responsible for Christ's execution. The Pharisees being the usual church bureaucrats like any other bureaucrats doing things in the name of God to enrich themselves. Like current government, any representation of the people is purely coincidence.

The scripture having the historical impact assumed by the author, rather tone deaf of the Pope to use it, even if well-intended.

People hate each other for the stupidest reasons
    I think my point is that the author is assuming that his interpretation of the whole scenario will be seen the same by Jews and Catholics. I am certainly not an expert on Bible, much less theology. I have though taken more than required of theological classes-as much of it is history. If this bit of the Bible was well known to be common knowledge of anti-Semitism by Catholics, I'm pretty certain I would have come across it in readings or by my very awful, Jewish ex.

Whatever the Catholic Church may have thought or done in the Middle Ages and later, for centuries now, the two groups have made many more favorable ties than most groups. Indeed, it's not at all unusual for Catholic Universities of which there are many-including some that are very highly rated-like Villanova and Georgetown and Loyola and DePaul and Notre Dame and ...

Also many Jewish students attend Catholic Universities for a myriad of reasons, including theology classes. Outside of Hebrew Universities one will not find more experts on Judaism than in Catholic Universities-worldwide. I've no doubt this professor is very smart and very knowledgeable-much more than the average Catholic or Jew would be my guess.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Thanks Gunny, fj1200 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)

"Citing an Antisemitic Verse"??
    Yeah, like you guys, I've never heard of this verse being MIS-used as an indictment against ALL Jews.
    I don't doubt the guy saying that it has been, but it's not something that's ever crossed my radar.

I've heard it taught, as you say Gunny, as an indictment against Jewish leadership at the time.
    ALSO as an indictment against ANYONE who rejects Christ claims, past & present.

Calling it an "Antisemitic verse" is weird. It's practically calling Jesus Antisemitic.
    The Pope missing this supposed history of misuse is odd i guess, Not sure sure if the Pope writes his own letters, or would be that familiar with European history? isn't he south American?
    Not sure how it could be considered a horrific "call" to antisemitism when most people have no clue of the history of misuse.
    And as you said Kath, a lot folks aren't even familiar with the Bible IN GENERAL.

Seems to me, only if we're putting the very WORSE spin on it, it would still be a stealth show of ill intent meant to send a message to Jews aware of the message, like the article writer.
    I'm no fan of the Pope but even I wouldn't say he's quite that sinister.
    Last edited by revelarts; 10-11-2024 at 12:19 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

12. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    "Citing an Antisemitic Verse"??
    Yeah, like you guys, I've never heard of this verse being MIS-used as an indictment against ALL Jews.
    I don't doubt the guy saying that it has been, but it's not something that's ever crossed my radar.

I've heard it taught, as you say Gunny, as an indictment against Jewish leadership at the time.
    ALSO as an indictment against ANYONE who rejects Christ claims, past & present.

Calling it an "Antisemitic verse" is weird. It's practically calling Jesus Antisemitic.
    The Pope missing this supposed history of misuse is odd i guess, Not sure sure if the Pope writes his own letters, or would be that familiar with European history? isn't he south American?
    Not sure how it could be considered a horrific "call" to antisemitism when most people have no clue of the history of misuse.
    And as you said Kath, a lot folks aren't even familiar with the Bible IN GENERAL.

Seem to me, only if we're putting the very WORSE spin on it, it's still be a veiled show of ill intent meant to send a message to Jews aware of the message like the article writer.
    I'm no fan of the Pope but I wouldn't even say he's quite that sinister.
    If the professor is correct that within theological circles there is a common understanding of this reading, Francis would certainly know of it. I hate to say this, but I don't think I'd put an ill intent on his part, like many liberals, he seems to think that a certain group is oppressed, others the oppressors. I'm guessing the Jews would not be seen by him as oppressed.

I hope I'm wrong on his intent.

My bottom line though is that most Catholics and Jews wouldn't know if it were so, thus impact is missing, regardless of intent. I doubt the Pali protestors know jack about it either.

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    ... I doubt the Pali protestors know jack about it either.

uh yeah.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post