Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Default Alaska 2024

Gonna try a few from Talkeetna on tiny phone and keyboard! Having so much fun in Wasilla, Anchorage and the Iditarod and now out to cabin!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Gunny, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Rick!

6. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Ceremonial start to Iditarod 2024! Have a few short vids when back. Was freezing and my butt forgot gloves on Saturday!

8. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, revelarts liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Btw, wanted to see Iditarod for many moons now, so bucket list item now checked off. But have many left, so don't shoot me!

10. Thanks Gunny, fj1200, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Heard you saw Dallas start the race. Too bad he had his dogs attacked by that moose.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...e3ad72d&ei=108
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Ok, I'm back!

Rick made me walk back home, took a while.

Actually, just meant to be away a few days on a mini vacation from posting and things festered. That and my addiction to youtube.

I thought Gunny would reach out and get a hold of me, you know, make sure I'm not dead in my computer chair. Only took him 6 months before he gave a crap! And apparently prodded on because someone else asked about me. Fuck*r!

So I just saw that photo above of Rick drinking the fireball. Boy was that a long day and evening. Not embarrassed to admit that I was hammered when we arrived at the cabin. We unloaded and maybe had another shot or 2. Then Rick wanted to get back on the 2 machines and head down river a bit. As soon as I hit the sunlight I realized I was seeing 6 of everything. No bueno and we turned around. After sitting for a bit, may have hade a little more. Rough night.

Also crashed the machine heading through the woods... turned it over going too fast around a curve and hit my head on a tree! Broke the cage on my gopro. I think Rick got a kick out of that one. But I was ice and warm, and drunk, and felt no pain!

Ok, give me until tomorrow and I'll go through what I missed and try to get back up to speed.

Oh, and Sharon gave me an awesome present! A piece of fur from about every damn animal there is in Alaska!

And yes, that was all 6 months back, but my memory came back a tad when coming back to this thread.

And thanks to @Mr. P for being the one to to ask Gunny about me. Not that the old bald Marine would ever think of me on his own.

13. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny, Mr. P thanked this post
    Likes revelarts, Kathianne, fj1200 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Ok, I'm back!

Rick made me walk back home, took a while.

Actually, just meant to be away a few days on a mini vacation from posting and things festered. That and my addiction to youtube.

I thought Gunny would reach out and get a hold of me, you know, make sure I'm not dead in my computer chair. Only took him 6 months before he gave a crap! And apparently prodded on because someone else asked about me. Fuck*r!

So I just saw that photo above of Rick drinking the fireball. Boy was that a long day and evening. Not embarrassed to admit that I was hammered when we arrived at the cabin. We unloaded and maybe had another shot or 2. Then Rick wanted to get back on the 2 machines and head down river a bit. As soon as I hit the sunlight I realized I was seeing 6 of everything. No bueno and we turned around. After sitting for a bit, may have hade a little more. Rough night.

Also crashed the machine heading through the woods... turned it over going too fast around a curve and hit my head on a tree! Broke the cage on my gopro. I think Rick got a kick out of that one. But I was ice and warm, and drunk, and felt no pain!

Ok, give me until tomorrow and I'll go through what I missed and try to get back up to speed.

Oh, and Sharon gave me an awesome present! A piece of fur from about every damn animal there is in Alaska!

And yes, that was all 6 months back, but my memory came back a tad when coming back to this thread.

And thanks to @Mr. P for being the one to to ask Gunny about me. Not that the old bald Marine would ever think of me on his own.
    So on one hand you go off on one of your larks and lose track of time and it's understandable, but me getting used to it and thinking nothing of it is not?

Let's recap: Rick's in the hospital and his machine is busted up, again. Destroy anything else on your "little break"? Need full body armor when you come around
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    So on one hand you go off on one of your larks and lose track of time and it's understandable, but me getting used to it and thinking nothing of it is not?

Let's recap: Rick's in the hospital and his machine is busted up, again. Destroy anything else on your "little break"? Need full body armor when you come around
    Rick took me riding on some huge lake, I think Big Lake or something obvious like that. There were long stretches to ride but had to be careful as their were crossroads cut out for vehicles. So one minute it could be smooth sailing and then you have to go down a slope of snow, across the 10-12 foot road, then go up a mountain of snow on the other side to get back onto the snow. I know, I know, you're laughing already.

So I kinda slowed down enough but then reached the upward portion too quickly and panicked as I thought I was gonna flip the machine (and Rick was in his truck just to the left of me, so didn't want to let him down or look stupid again) so the panic was to apparently floor the damn thing. Well now I shot up that dang slope like a missile into the air. Came down and she was still floored for a second before I finally let up. Somehow the machine came down hard but then forward and the skis landed properly. Rick thought I did good, but there was 0 skill involved there and pure luck from a dummy.

That was all after he had me start the machine by yanking on the cord while she was cold. It had trouble the first few pulls but when she finally started it was night and day in how hard I had to yank it and I found myself falling backwards, and then sure enough, fell off the back of the trailer and onto the ice. Thank God no one saw me! Well, Rick did, but he was silent.

16. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)

Rick took me riding on some huge lake, I think Big Lake or something obvious like that. There were long stretches to ride but had to be careful as their were crossroads cut out for vehicles. So one minute it could be smooth sailing and then you have to go down a slope of snow, across the 10-12 foot road, then go up a mountain of snow on the other side to get back onto the snow. I know, I know, you're laughing already.

So I kinda slowed down enough but then reached the upward portion too quickly and panicked as I thought I was gonna flip the machine (and Rick was in his truck just to the left of me, so didn't want to let him down or look stupid again) so the panic was to apparently floor the damn thing. Well now I shot up that dang slope like a missile into the air. Came down and she was still floored for a second before I finally let up. Somehow the machine came down hard but then forward and the skis landed properly. Rick thought I did good, but there was 0 skill involved there and pure luck from a dummy.

That was all after he had me start the machine by yanking on the cord while she was cold. It had trouble the first few pulls but when she finally started it was night and day in how hard I had to yank it and I found myself falling backwards, and then sure enough, fell off the back of the trailer and onto the ice. Thank God no one saw me! Well, Rick did, but he was silent.
    I imagine a lawn chair and cooler of Corona is the right way to watch the Jimbob show

So how are those workouts coming along?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

18. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I imagine a lawn chair and cooler of Corona is the right way to watch the Jimbob show

So how are those workouts coming along?
    I think the chair and the Corona is what you give Jim to protect your interests.

Instead, we break out the Fireball before we even got on the river to head up to the cabin. And stopped often to quench our thirst. Good thing the 'ol police don't monitor the trails way the hell out there.

Next day we chilled most of the time and enjoyed steak and king crab!! And of course more Fireball, but this time we stayed in the cabin.

I was playing name that tune by recording music and sending out the clip to the other folks from the east coast that were there a few years back with me. We played it then, so I was reliving it. Wasn't until Rick told me at like 9:30 or 10 that it was kinda late back home and was a work night for the rest of them. I then realized it was like 2am for all of them. I felt horrible, really did. So I only sent a handful more of recordings before I called it quits for the evening.

20. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)

I think the chair and the Corona is what you give Jim to protect your interests.

Instead, we break out the Fireball before we even got on the river to head up to the cabin. And stopped often to quench our thirst. Good thing the 'ol police don't monitor the trails way the hell out there.

Next day we chilled most of the time and enjoyed steak and king crab!! And of course more Fireball, but this time we stayed in the cabin.

I was playing name that tune by recording music and sending out the clip to the other folks from the east coast that were there a few years back with me. We played it then, so I was reliving it. Wasn't until Rick told me at like 9:30 or 10 that it was kinda late back home and was a work night for the rest of them. I then realized it was like 2am for all of them. I felt horrible, really did. So I only sent a handful more of recordings before I called it quits for the evening.
    So you don't contain your damage to your immediate area, huh?

22. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Who's the new guy? This "jimnyc" joker?

Comes in here out of the blue acting like he knows us... like he owns the place...

<smh>
    Last edited by hjmick; 09-03-2024 at 04:53 AM.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

24. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes fj1200, Kathianne, Mr. P, Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

When Jim got here, I wanted him to ride the machine he was going to be using somewhere mellow, to get the feel of it and to get his 'sea legs' under him so to speak. Last time I had him on Sharon's 440 Trail, which is a comfortable but docile machine that doesn't give any surprises - 440cc isn't powerful and the machine is for cruising hardpack trails.

This time I put him on a 700 RMK, Rocky Mountain King, which is a very powerful machine built for breaking trail up the sides of mountains. It's a high performance 700cc liquid cooled engine, and the machine is designed to be somewhat tippy to carve in deep snow with instant neck-snapping acceleration when you want it. The track is very deep lugs to move a lot of snow, and every bit of weight has been shaved off it for maximum lightness. It's a super fun sled to ride, but you need to know a little bit about it before heading off into the woods.

My concern was winding through the woods and accidentally blipping the throttle and rocketing off the trail on a corner and hitting trees.

So I took Jim to Big Lake, which has plowed roads on it during the winter, and they crisscross all over. We unloaded and I drove the truck on those plowed roads, and Jim zoomed around learning the RMK and it's quirks. Something every beginner does is when you begin going up a hill and the skis start going up it, you naturally shift forward and your arm/hand hit the throttle harder than you intend.

On Sharon's 440 Trail, that didn't matter. On the 700 RMK that means the skis will launch off the snow, the machine wheelies, and most likely you'll get stripped off the machine onto your ass as the sled rockets forward. It's something everyone quickly figures out - you have to anchor your right hand against the handlebar to prevent that. And it's something that you can't verbally warn against; you have to learn it by doing it. I wanted a wide open lake with no trees when Jim learned it, because trees are expensive.

So, yeah, Jim went down the side one of the many plowed roads, crossed, and learned about instant throttle response when he started up the other side. I watched as the RMK went vertical, and he rode it out like a pro. Caught some pretty good air on that, was a shame I didn't have the camera ready.

I really struggled to have energy while he was here, but couldn't. Before we would have been zooming all over the place, but I just couldn't muster it. Turns out my right coronary was 100% plugged and the other two weren't much better, so in reality I should have been in the hospital. It was a fun trip, but could have been much better. The next one will be.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

26. Thanks Kathianne, Mr. P, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, fj1200, Mr. P, Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Who's the new guy? This "jimnyc" joker?

Comes in here out of the blue acting like he knows us... like he owns the place...

<smh>

28. Likes Kathianne liked this post