Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pit Bulls: harmless family pets or vicious menace?

I'll start by saying I don't trust Pit Bulls. I grew up with another so-called "vicious" breed, German Shepherds, and I trust them immensely but I don't trust Pit Bulls. From what I've witnessed myself, these dogs are more aggressive than other dogs in their "play" mode and they tend to start fights without warning. Not to mention all the horror stories and statistics that seem to prove my point of view. From what I can tell, these dogs are responsible for nearly three quarters of all deadly and/or maiming dog bite attacks in the US every year. They are also the only dogs to be legally banned in some US cities as well as Canadian provinces and elsewhere in the world.
    That being said, I was at an employee party with my girlfriend last night and they had all their dogs dressed in cutesy Halloween costumes and running around amongst the people at the party. It's a doggie day-care sort of business. Of course the dogs were playing. But there was this pitbull I've seen before being aggressive so I had my eye on it. Naturally, it went from dog to dog, dominating them, going to put its jowels around their necks and being generally aggressive. A couple of fights broke out. I didn't care much until it went after my girlfriend's dog, which is a Boston Terrier. The pitbull could've eaten it alive so I separated them but they were both trying to get back at each other so I pushed the pitbull away with my foot and then pinned it while its owner could come over and take control. I called it a "little sh*t."
    But instead of being lauded for saving the tiny dog from the vicious pitbull, everyone got mad at me for calling the dog a "little sh*t" and taking "anger" out on the dog. Gimme a break!
    Where do other people stand on this? Am I taking crazy pills?

I think it's pathetic to project your emotions/sensitivities onto your pets. They aren't children. They're dogs. Plus they can't understand English. Pathetic.
    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 10-22-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.