Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Default A promise you can hold me to

Since my daughter is spending the day with my sister, my husband and I held one of our rare political discussions. He thinks I am starting to get too worked up over the upcoming elections. Which is probably true.
    So I am making the following pledge, which all of you are invited to hold me to. Regardless of the results of the election, I am going to accept them. No gloating or online fist pumping over a win, no whining and online teeth grinding over a loss.
    I did the same thing in 2004. I wasn't pleased at the results, but I accepted it as the will of the people. Those of you who date back to USMB will remember that I was not one of those who bitched and whined about Kerry's loss.
    I can't comment about 2000 because I wasn't old enough to vote then.

Regardless of who wins, I don't expect anything to change. Politicians are good at promising a lot and delivering very little. I will still be going to work each day and trying to raise my daughter the best that I can.
    I don't trust McCain, so I am voting for Obama. My husband doesn't like McCain, but can't bring himself to vote for a Democrat. So he is voting for Barr. I am sure the rest of his Orange County Republican relatives will continue to vote as such.
    One election is not going to change anything, small or large.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Since my daughter is spending the day with my sister, my husband and I held one of our rare political discussions. He thinks I am starting to get too worked up over the upcoming elections. Which is probably true.
    So I am making the following pledge, which all of you are invited to hold me to. Regardless of the results of the election, I am going to accept them. No gloating or online fist pumping over a win, no whining and online teeth grinding over a loss.
    I did the same thing in 2004. I wasn't pleased at the results, but I accepted it as the will of the people. Those of you who date back to USMB will remember that I was not one of those who bitched and whined about Kerry's loss.
    I can't comment about 2000 because I wasn't old enough to vote then.

Regardless of who wins, I don't expect anything to change. Politicians are good at promising a lot and delivering very little. I will still be going to work each day and trying to raise my daughter the best that I can.
    I don't trust McCain, so I am voting for Obama. My husband doesn't like McCain, but can't bring himself to vote for a Democrat. So he is voting for Barr. I am sure the rest of his Orange County Republican relatives will continue to vote as such.
    One election is not going to change anything, small or large.
    lyin' bitch
    http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php...45&postcount=1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't trust McCain, so I am voting for Obama. My husband doesn't like McCain, but can't bring himself to vote for a Democrat. So he is voting for Barr.
    You should follow your husband's lead. He is obviously a very smart man.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    What did she lie about?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why the hell make promises you might not be able or want to keep..

who cares if you gloat or fist pump..??

anyone?

Jeeze
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The title of your thread poses an interesting question. Does that mean you cannot usually be held to your promises and they are otherwise non-binding?
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I have no clue what namvet is babbling about. I am good at keeping my promises.
    I simply don't want to repeat the Dem's folly of 2000, making themselves look stupid by complaining endlessly about having the election stolen. Though I do expect many of you to do the same.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I have no clue what namvet is babbling about. I am good at keeping my promises.
    I simply don't want to repeat the Dem's folly of 2000, making themselves look stupid by complaining endlessly about having the election stolen. Though I do expect many of you to do the same.
    That is something I'm going to do my personal best to avoid. Of course, I can envision being goaded, but I'm pretty good at that. I think the nonsense in both 2000 and 2004 was so wrong. Lose and get over it. My take is to accept the president. If Obama or his sycophants make that difficult, I'll do my best and try not to whine.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to be pissed no matter who wins, but I'm going to do my best to support which ever one of them happens to enter the oval office. Not promising not to say what I feel when they screw up, as they will since we all do, but I will do my best to support the man in the office of the President of the United States.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    I'm going to be pissed no matter who wins, but I'm going to do my best to support which ever one of them happens to enter the oval office. Not promising not to say what I feel when they screw up, as they will since we all do, but I will do my best to support the man in the office of the President of the United States.

Immie
    ditto