PDA

View Full Version : Moore says he made an ‘honest mistake’ failing to correct application claiming Bronze

Gunny
08-30-2024, 10:24 AM
Another Dem playing semantics. I can fully understand that he put the Bronze Star on his initial application at the advice of his CO. That alone is not unusual.

I can even somewhat (not really) buy off on not correcting the record down the line if the subject was never brought up. Where he loses me is he had the opportunity to correct the record when asked by media while running for Governor and did not.

We aren't talking Good Conduct Medal here. One does not just forget whether one has a Bronze Star or not. Naturally, I have to wonder why it was turned down. Medals have basic, administrative criteria they have to meet. Based on my observation, if questionable, a command won't submit for it without a lock. Also have to wonder about his command. Bronze Star turned down and the command did not resubmit, or submit for a lesser award? Tells me putting him in for it was a command check in the box.

Moore says he made an ‘honest mistake’ failing to correct application claiming Bronze Star | The Hill (https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-u-s-news/ap-moore-says-he-made-an-honest-mistake-failing-to-correct-application-claiming-bronze-star/?tbref=hp)

Kathianne
08-30-2024, 10:36 AM
Another Dem playing semantics. I can fully understand that he put the Bronze Star on his initial application at the advice of his CO. That alone is not unusual.

I can even somewhat (not really) buy off on not correcting the record down the line if the subject was never brought up. Where he loses me is he had the opportunity to correct the record when asked by media while running for Governor and did not.

We aren't talking Good Conduct Medal here. One does not just forget whether one has a Bronze Star or not. Naturally, I have to wonder why it was turned down. Medals have basic, administrative criteria they have to meet. Based on my observation, if questionable, a command won't submit for it without a lock. Also have to wonder about his command. Bronze Star turned down and the command did not resubmit, or submit for a lesser award? Tells me putting him in for it was a command check in the box.

Moore says he made an ‘honest mistake’ failing to correct application claiming Bronze Star | The Hill (https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-u-s-news/ap-moore-says-he-made-an-honest-mistake-failing-to-correct-application-claiming-bronze-star/?tbref=hp)

I think with all that has been explained and accepted regarding Walz, this is a nothing burger. He admits it wasn't granted, which is better than any answers Walz has offered up.

Gunny
08-30-2024, 10:42 AM
I think with all that has been explained and accepted regarding Walz, this is a nothing burger. He admits it wasn't granted, which is better than any answers Walz has offered up.

Like everything else the left touches, they have managed to marginalize military service with their dishonest BS. Stupid part is they have, or had, some real solid veterans. Tulsi Gabbard? Yet they continue to peddle the likes of Kerry and Walz:rolleyes:

Kathianne
08-30-2024, 10:47 AM
Like everything else the left touches, they have managed to marginalize military service with their dishonest BS. Stupid part is they have, or had, some real solid veterans. Tulsi Gabbard? Yet they continue to peddle the likes of Kerry and Walz:rolleyes:

Seems to me that the problem has much to do with the citizenry in general not holding these opportunists accountable for using their service and exaggerating their actual participation in general. At least Kerry went to Vietnam, which is more than Walz can say. In particular though, I think that members of the military don't like the idea of demeaning someone like Walz, who did serve. They don't like all the lies; my guess they think he was a dick for bugging out on his men, but they don't want to dis him to non-military. That's how it seems to me anyways.

I do notice that those who served with him, have zero problems speaking out, but they are not joined by others.

Gunny
08-30-2024, 07:03 PM
Seems to me that the problem has much to do with the citizenry in general not holding these opportunists accountable for using their service and exaggerating their actual participation in general. At least Kerry went to Vietnam, which is more than Walz can say. In particular though, I think that members of the military don't like the idea of demeaning someone like Walz, who did serve. They don't like all the lies; my guess they think he was a dick for bugging out on his men, but they don't want to dis him to non-military. That's how it seems to me anyways.

I do notice that those who served with him, have zero problems speaking out, but they are not joined by others.

Here's the thing: The military people he served with who take issue with him have. From an official POV, he served his time and retired. Got his DD214 and went home. Regardless circumstance and/or personal opinions, he earned what is required by the system to retire and move on. The Guard could have refused his retirement request if he was deemed essential personnel. At least that's how the Corps works. If you're scheduled for deployment, you're locked in and they deny your request. It is my opinion they (command) just didn't care. Can't say he's impressed me as anyone I'd want to keep.

Anyway, none of the BS he has pulled (that anyone is aware of -- I have my own opinion of what type soldier he was before he retired. It's officially out of the Guard's hands. His command officially is pretty much tied down to stating he served honorably and retired. He in fact did deploy in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Unless HE expands that, one assumes he went to Afghanistan. It's technically not a lie even though it's obvious that it is definitely misleading.

Where I am going is: it is up to the Dem Party, Dem voters and MSM to reject his shady stolen valor bullshit and they aren't going to. I don't recall the last time the Dems held one of their own accountable. I can easily go back as far as Bill Clinton and "I didn't have sex with that woman the way having sex is defined ..."

The MSM is allowing Walz to laugh it away. All about the win, baby:rolleyes:

Kathianne
08-31-2024, 10:42 AM
Now on the governor of MD?

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2024/08/31/stolen-valor-in-maryland-governors-office-n3793898

Stolen Valor in Maryland Governor's Office?Jazz Shaw 10:30 AM | August 31, 2024

This is a rather peculiar story involving current Democratic Maryland Governor Wes Moore, and I will offer a rare tip of my hat to the New York Times for uncovering it because they had to follow an obscure paperwork trail down the rabbit hole to find it. As a young man, Moore attended Valley Forge Military Academy and later joined the United States Army Reserve. Unlike Kamala's running mate, Wes Moore served a tour of duty fighting in Afghanistan. None of this appears to be in doubt and we thank him for his service. But that's where the story becomes a bit more "complicated." After completing his service and doing some work in the private sector, Moore applied for a White House fellowship in 2006 serving under Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. On his application, he included a detail saying that he had been awarded the Bronze Star for heroic or meritorious achievement or service. The problem is, he was never actually awarded the Bronze Star. So was this a case of stolen valor? Moore claims that it was an honest misunderstanding. (CBS News)

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said Thursday he made "an honest mistake" in failing to correct a White House fellowship application 18 years ago when he wrote he had received a Bronze Star for his military service in Afghanistan though he never ended up receiving it, after the New York Times obtained a copy of the application and reported on it.

The newspaper, which obtained the document as part of a Freedom of Information Act request, reported that Moore made the claim on the application in 2006 when he was 27.

In a statement, the governor wrote that he had been encouraged to fill out the application for the fellowship by his deputy brigade commander serving overseas in the Army.

If this were simply some whopper of a fictional tale that Moore made up out of whole cloth, that would definitely be a case of stolen valor. We should honor the service of all of our military veterans, particularly those who served in combat. (We're looking at you, Tim Walz.) But earning the Bronze Star, the Silver Star, any of the Service Crosses, the Purple Heart, or the Medal of Honor puts you in a class that towers above the rest. It means that you demonstrated bravery and leadership in the face of peril. Being a pretender in that fashion could arguably be considered far worse an act of stolen valor than what Walz did.

But that simply may not be the case with Wes Moore. When he was initially applying for the fellowship, his deputy brigade commander informed him that he had been nominated to receive the Bronze Star. Two other senior combat officers reportedly signed off on the nomination. It looked like a sure thing, so the deputy brigade commander suggested that he include the award on his fellowship application to improve his chances of being accepted. It was only later that Moore learned that he had not received final approval and had never been granted the award. By then he had already begun his fellowship at the White House, but he never went back and corrected his application after the fact.

Moore described the news that he hadn't received the Bronze Star as a "disappointment," but is this really all that big of a deal? It's not as if he was out on the campaign trail boasting about his meritorious wartime service. He was filling out an application for a junior position in politics and he'd already been awarded the position anyway. How many of us can honestly say that if we learned of such a disappointing detail we would rack our brains trying to think of any place and every place we might have written down a claim to receiving the award and retroactively correct the record? Sure, that would be the correct thing to do if you're a serious stickler for details, but the longer we travel down the road of life, the more of a paper trail we tend to leave behind. That sort of thing could make for a lot of work dealing with corrections.

I'm honestly having a hard time ginning up much anger over this news. It seems more like an unintentional foul than any attempt at inflating his legend or an attempt at deception. Wes Moore served his country honorably in the military and even went into combat for us. The fact that his deputy brigade commander put in his name for the award and two other senior officers endorsed him suggests that his service was indeed honorable and perhaps even heroic, even if he didn't eventually wind up receiving the award. We shouldn't be raking him over the coals too badly for what essentially boils down to a bookkeeping error, at least in my opinion.

I have to say I tend to agree with this take on the whole discussions regarding Walz, now Moore.

That Walz served, not in doubt. That he seems to have used his service and exaggerations of his service and accomplishments for political purposes, especially claims or non-corrections of serving in combat and higher than earned ranks, is wrong. NOT as wrong as those who never served but claim to have whether just for bragging or on applications.

Moore seems to have not only served, but did a combat tour also. That he was considered for Bronze Star, even if eventually not awarded, demonstrates he had to have been in the thick of things for some time. That not correcting an application already earned or even if it had been denied, does not seem such an egregious error as something that is more of a fabrication.

Gunny
08-31-2024, 11:16 AM
Now on the governor of MD?

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2024/08/31/stolen-valor-in-maryland-governors-office-n3793898

I have to say I tend to agree with this take on the whole discussions regarding Walz, now Moore.

That Walz served, not in doubt. That he seems to have used his service and exaggerations of his service and accomplishments for political purposes, especially claims or non-corrections of serving in combat and higher than earned ranks, is wrong. NOT as wrong as those who never served but claim to have whether just for bragging or on applications.

Moore seems to have not only served, but did a combat tour also. That he was considered for Bronze Star, even if eventually not awarded, demonstrates he had to have been in the thick of things for some time. That not correcting an application already earned or even if it had been denied, does not seem such an egregious error as something that is more of a fabrication.

There's no real comparison between Moore and Walz. If I was Moore, I'd be insulted one was being made.

Where there is comparison is that each did not go back and correct incorrect records. I'm in that club. There are things incorrect in my record and I just don't give a crap. Where they stand apart is "why". Moore's could easily be oversight. Walz obviously purposefully did not correct his rank, and implied he was in combat, both for political gain. THAT is the definition of "stolen valor" to me.

An aside: the stolen valor law was struck down by a court deeming it against some numbnut defendant's Constitutional Right to prosecute him for lying about service.

Kathianne
08-31-2024, 11:25 AM
There's no real comparison between Moore and Walz. If I was Moore, I'd be insulted one was being made.

Where there is comparison is that each did not go back and correct incorrect records. I'm in that club. There are things incorrect in my record and I just don't give a crap. Where they stand apart is "why". Moore's could easily be oversight. Walz obviously purposefully did not correct his rank, and implied he was in combat, both for political gain. THAT is the definition of "stolen valor" to me.

An aside: the stolen valor law was struck down by a court deeming it against some numbnut defendant's Constitutional Right to prosecute him for lying about service.

I guess when one looks at what has become the norm, I guess if I identify as a general, I should be able to claim I am, since I can certainly now claim I'm a male, if the mood moves me?

Gunny
08-31-2024, 11:44 AM
I guess when one looks at what has become the norm, I guess if I identify as a general, I should be able to claim I am, since I can certainly now claim I'm a male, if the mood moves me?

I cannot wrap my head around denying reality for wishful thinking and it's going to come down to getting people killed. If we ever seriously have to go to war with some of these neandertal World powers who still believe in throwing bodies at the line until one side runs out we're going to be in a hurt locker and I don't foresee anything coming out okay on the other end. To survive, the first casualty will be all this leftwing, lala land dream-crap. The unintended consequence of THAT could easily be intolerance to it going too far and authoritarian rule. Or, we can stand like deer in the headlights and get run over by the oncoming train.

Either way, we as a people and a Nation will never be the same.