PDA

View Full Version : This Just Blows

Gunny
08-20-2024, 05:17 PM
but it's par for the course this Summer :mad: All Summer we've had lower than average temperatures. No 100s in July. Caught up this week. It's 105 and there is ZERO shade in this new subdivision. Every one of these brand new trees is about as tall as I am.

Not done :laugh:

School started last week for Ashley & kids. Every damned one of them is home this week with COVID. I'm the only one not sick. Yet anyway.

Money says the day they're all well and can go back will be a holiday or Teacher's Work day:rolleyes:

Kathianne
08-20-2024, 05:25 PM
but it's par for the course this Summer :mad: All Summer we've had lower than average temperatures. No 100s in July. Caught up this week. It's 105 and there is ZERO shade in this new subdivision. Every one of these brand new trees is about as tall as I am.

Not done :laugh:

School started last week for Ashley & kids. Every damned one of them is home this week with COVID. I'm the only one not sick. Yet anyway.

Money says the day they're all well and can go back will be a holiday or Teacher's Work day:rolleyes:

My sympathies. I really can't think how long we've been in triple digits.

Gunny
08-21-2024, 02:00 PM
My sympathies. I really can't think how long we've been in triple digits.We usually start hitting triple digits in June and through most of August. We had more rain this year during Jun and July.

The problem with the heat here isn't like in the desert. It doesn't dissipate at night. When I lived in the desert it would get to 115 give or take during the day, but still drop to the lower 60s at night. Here, if it drops below 80 that's about it. I was 104 still at 8 PM last night. 106 right.

As I mentioned, new housing development. It's like a frying pan. My skin doesn't do sun anymore. So I'm limited to the garage or postage stamp size porch unless I want to put on long sleeves and boonie cover.

I'll live. After these grouchy-ass sick people get their asses back to school:laugh:

Kathianne
08-21-2024, 05:54 PM
We usually start hitting triple digits in June and through most of August. We had more rain this year during Jun and July.

The problem with the heat here isn't like in the desert. It doesn't dissipate at night. When I lived in the desert it would get to 115 give or take during the day, but still drop to the lower 60s at night. Here, if it drops below 80 that's about it. I was 104 still at 8 PM last night. 106 right.

As I mentioned, new housing development. It's like a frying pan. My skin doesn't do sun anymore. So I'm limited to the garage or postage stamp size porch unless I want to put on long sleeves and boonie cover.

I'll live. After these grouchy-ass sick people get their asses back to school:laugh:

I found that true in LA, not here. Best we do in mornings unless moonsoon at night is 90s

SassyLady
08-22-2024, 12:33 AM
We usually start hitting triple digits in June and through most of August. We had more rain this year during Jun and July.

I don't know which desert you're talking about about but around here, in the summer, rarely does it get down to 80°.

When a storm hits it might drop below 80 but only until rain stops then it's back up to triple digits. And a rainstorm rarely lasts more than 15-20 minutes.

Kathianne
08-22-2024, 12:40 AM
I don't know which desert you're talking about about but around here, in the summer, rarely does it get down to 80°.

When a storm hits it might drop below 80 but only until rain stops then it's back up to triple digits. And a rainstorm rarely lasts more than 15-20 minutes.

In LA it went to 60s at night, pretty quickly to needing sweater. I expected AZ to be like that too, wasn't. Not even in Sedona.

SassyLady
08-22-2024, 12:43 AM
In LA it went to 60s at night, pretty quickly to needing sweater. I expected AZ to be like that too, wasn't. Not even in Sedona.
LA is desert?

SassyLady
08-22-2024, 12:43 AM
I really miss being able to open my windows at night.

Kathianne
08-22-2024, 12:51 AM
LA is desert?

Pretty sure.google classifies as borderline Mediterranean or semi arid. They get an average of 5" too much rain to be considered desert.

SassyLady
08-22-2024, 12:56 AM
Pretty sure.google classifies as borderline Mediterranean or semi arid. They get an average of 5" too much rain to be considered desert.
Huh .. didn't know that.

Gunny
08-22-2024, 02:17 PM

When a storm hits it might drop below 80 but only until rain stops then it's back up to triple digits. And a rainstorm rarely lasts more than 15-20 minutes.Sounds like y'all live in Kuwait. Or here. Frying pan.

Twentynine Palms is 1000 ft above sea level and there was little man-made infrastructure to trap heat when I was there. Everything was one story. Wide spot in the road they called "town" where you turned off Hwy 62 to get to base. We'd get up around 118 during the day and about 65 at night. There just wasn't much to trap heat or block the wind.

I know what Kathianne's talking about in "LA" as well. Camp Pendleton and MCRD San Diego are both on the coast. Sweat your ass off all day and freeze at night (in the field). When you're in the field at Camp Pendleton, you're right on the water and the water's always cold from the Arctic Flow. Humping gear during the day so you try to get warm at night sucks.

Don't have to go far inland to get away from it though. I lived in La Mesa and Vista and both were right on the edge of where the coast ends and the desert begins. Basically, I15 is the "line" that divides coast and inland.