PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS Is Creative Policing

Kathianne
08-16-2024, 05:48 PM
Of course it would have to be a smallish, low-crime town:

https://eu.oklahoman.com/story/news/state/2024/08/14/oklahoma-town-plays-annual-hide-and-seek-event-with-police-department-halloween-mooreland/74782459007/

This small Oklahoma town plays hide and seek with the police in annual Halloween traditionDale Denwalt The Oklahoman
Show Caption
Mooreland Police Chief Bobby Kehn knows he'll have his hands full on Halloween night. But in a good way.

This year will be Mooreland's third annual Hide and Seek From the Police, a community event pitting clever kids against eagle-eyed law enforcement.

For an hour on Halloween night, Mooreland police officers and other first responders from the area will fan out across this very, very small town looking for 150 people who are trying their best to hide. Although it's meant to be a positive experience for children on Halloween, adults can play, too.

"When I was a kid, shaving cream and eggs were our thing and this pretty much totally eliminated that for us," Kehn said.

How the game began in Mooreland
The annual game of hide and seek began years ago as a team-building exercise within the police department. After Kehn became chief, he decided to expand it into a community-building exercise that he hopes will foster a good relationship with law enforcement. It's the kind of personal connection where he can walk through the school and be on a first-name basis with the kids.

"I like to do things outside the box. Being from a small town, we can afford to do that kind of stuff," he said.

The first year for the event drew about 80 people, mostly local children. Last year, it drew 120 people as more people from Woodward heard about it. This year's game of hide and seek is capped at 150.

Hide and seek rules
The rules of the game are pretty simple, Kehn said: Hide outside but within city limits, don't trespass on private property, don't break the law and don't run if you're found.

"If you get caught, we're not chasing you," he said. "That's a big deal for me because I don't want somebody stepping in a hole and breaking an ankle or an arm or something, you know? It's intended just to be fun."

After an hour, anyone who hasn't been found can collect a trophy.

Kehn said he's been impressed by the talent some people have when picking a hiding spot. Some hiders will sneak up into trees, while others stick closer to the ground. Some kids of a retired Marine once concealed themselves so well along the town creek that Kehn walked right by.

"The kids filmed me walking by them. I could not see them," Kehn lamented. "The parents thought it was the funniest thing ever."

When is Mooreland's Hide and Seek?
The event begins at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 31. Attendees are asked to show up at the Mooreland Community Center to pick up a wristband.

Hiders will have a 15-minute head start.

If you're interested in attending, sign-ups will be available at Mooreland City Hall on Oct. 1. The game is limited to 150 entrants.

Gunny
08-16-2024, 05:54 PM
Of course it would have to be a smallish, low-crime town:

https://eu.oklahoman.com/story/news/state/2024/08/14/oklahoma-town-plays-annual-hide-and-seek-event-with-police-department-halloween-mooreland/74782459007/

Some kids of a retired Marine once concealed themselves so well along the town creek that Kehn walked right by.

Good training :)