PDA

View Full Version : 'Moderate' Kamala: Price Controls On Groceries

Kathianne
08-15-2024, 09:05 AM
It'll work this time, for sure! I'm getting old, I guess. What economic system just adores price controls? Pretty sure it isn't capitalism.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/15/harris-corporate-price-gouging-ban-food-election.html

PoliticsHarris to propose federal ban on ‘corporate price-gouging’ in food and groceries
Published Thu, Aug 15 202412:40 AM EDTUpdated 2 Hours Ago

WASHINGTON — Vice President Kamala Harris plans to propose the first-ever federal ban on “corporate price-gouging in the food and grocery industries,” her campaign announced late Wednesday.

“There’s a big difference between fair pricing in competitive markets, and excessive prices unrelated to the costs of doing business,” the Harris campaign said in a statement. “Americans can see that difference in their grocery bills.”

The proposed ban is part of a broader economic policy platform that the Democratic presidential nominee plans to unveil Friday at a campaign rally in battleground North Carolina.

Harris will also pledge that if elected president, she will direct her administration to increase scrutiny of potential mergers between large supermarkets and food producers, “specifically for the risk that the proposed merger would raise grocery prices for consumers,” her campaign said.

This package of regulatory proposals is one of the Harris campaign’s earliest efforts to outline an economic platform that is independent of President Joe Biden’s agenda.

Before Biden abruptly dropped out of the race in July and endorsed Harris, he had spent more than a year campaigning for reelection and blaming corporate greed for consumer prices driven higher by inflation.

Harris’ plan still sits firmly within the overall Biden approach to regulation, however, which has prioritized consumer protections across a range of industries and sued to block several massive corporate mergers.

In March, the White House launched the Strike Force on Unfair and Illegal Pricing, a joint initiative between the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission.

On Friday, Harris will single out the meat industry, saying that “soaring meat prices have accounted for a large part of Americans’ higher grocery bills, even as meat processing companies registered record-breaking profits following the pandemic,” according to the statement from her campaign.

The Democratic presidential nominee will also unveil proposals intended to bring down consumer costs in two other sectors where corporations have aggressively exercised their pricing powers: prescription drugs and housing.

Harris’ speech will come two days after her opponent, former President Donald Trump, gave his own economic policy speech in North Carolina, where he blamed Harris for the high price of consumer goods.

“You’re paying the price for [Harris’] liberal extremism at the gas pump, at the grocery counter, and on your mortgage bill,” Trump said in Asheville.

Nearly a month into her campaign, Harris has already erased Trump’s lead over Biden in national and swing state polls.

But Trump still maintains his longstanding advantage over Democrats when it comes to which candidate voters believe would be best for the economy.

fj1200
08-15-2024, 09:07 AM
Thank God she's not an authoritarian. :rolleyes: It's trump we need to worry about. :rolleyes:

Kathianne
08-15-2024, 09:08 AM
Thank God she's not an authoritarian. :rolleyes: It's trump we need to worry about. :rolleyes:

Yep, whenever I think, "What am I thinking, the man is a buffoon!" The opposition comes through to remind me. BTW, this happens several times a day.

fj1200
08-15-2024, 09:21 AM
Yep, whenever I think, "What am I thinking, the man is a buffoon!" The opposition comes through to remind me. BTW, this happens several times a day.

I'm sure you're understating that because there aren't enough rolleye emojis to adequately express where I'm at.

Two things I saw in a tchotchke store in TN a couple of years ago:

"I'm sorry, did I roll my eyes out loud?"
"I just rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brain."

Kathianne
08-15-2024, 09:23 AM
I'm sure you're understating that because there aren't enough rolleye emojis to adequately express where I'm at.

Two things I saw in a tchotchke store in TN a couple of years ago:

"I'm sorry, did I roll my eyes out loud?"
"I just rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brain."
That literally hits the spot! Bravo! :cheers2:

Kathianne
08-15-2024, 09:54 AM
More. fj1200 I think you'll be amused, gotta go to site though:

https://twitchy.com/samj/2024/08/15/kamala-harris-food-price-control-govt-thread-n2399656

How 'Bout NO?! Kamala Harris Releases Her VERY First Policy and Tweeps Have Brutally HILARIOUS ThoughtsSam J.
Sam J.
|
9:30 AM on August 15, 2024

AP Photo/LM Otero
Kamala Harris has finally come up with a policy of her own and it's ... bad.

Really bad.

Let's just say Lenin would be proud.

Price controls.

On food.

So, you know, communism.

This sounds a lot like what Biden has been doing, blaming big evil corporations for the gross amount of inflation this administration caused. And sorry, Kamala, it's still communism.

Seriously.

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. Full disclosure, we're not sure if that's a Kamala or a communism joke ... maybe both?

Good Lord.

Oh, the spin the Left is trying to put on this impressively bad, even for them.

Recommended

Clean Up Aisle 3! Stephen King Learns the HARD WAY You Never Bring a Knife to a Gunfight with Dan Bongino
Sam J.
Her post continues (sorry):

... impose harsh penalties on big corporations that choose to break these rules to make a quick buck at Americans’ expense.

Tell us you don't know anything about inflation and the economy without telling us you don't know anything about inflation and the economy, Kamala.

Holy Hell.

The only people who will believe this helps are already voting blue no matter who anyway.

Yes, a Kamala Harris presidency would be scary. Terrifying. Disastrous. Destructive.

But you know, orange man bad.

fj1200
08-15-2024, 10:05 AM
More. @fj1200 (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=728) I think you'll be amused, gotta go to site though:

https://twitchy.com/samj/2024/08/15/kamala-harris-food-price-control-govt-thread-n2399656

So so bad. Her talking about anything not scripted is a slow moving train wreck; interview with Norah O'donnel? Just painful.

Kathianne
08-15-2024, 12:36 PM
Related:

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2024/08/15/harris-to-propose-price-controls-n3793178

Kathianne
08-15-2024, 12:41 PM
No surprise, this "brilliant idea" is getting a lot of attention:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kamala-harriss-first-policy-proposal-is-economically-illiterate/

Gunny
08-15-2024, 12:49 PM
How about price controls on government spending?

Black Diamond
08-15-2024, 01:45 PM
How about price controls on government spending?

Would create a shortage of government programs. :cool: