PDA

View Full Version : Harris picks Walz for vice president

Gunny
08-06-2024, 11:54 AM
Wonder who picked him for her?:rolleyes:

On the surface, he does appear to be a better pick for Harris than Trump's choice is for him.

Kamala Harris picks Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz for VP (thehill.com) (https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4789021-kamala-harris-vp-tim-walz-minnesota/)

Black Diamond
08-06-2024, 11:58 AM
Hard to convince Muslims in Dearborn and Detroit to vote for you with a Jew on the ticket.

revelarts
08-06-2024, 04:17 PM
She might have to look out bullets now as well.

Gunny
08-06-2024, 04:56 PM
She might have to look out bullets now as well.Pretty sure Secret Service won't muff her detail:rolleyes:

fj1200
08-06-2024, 07:12 PM
On the surface, he does appear to be a better pick for Harris than Trump's choice is for him.

Kind of proves out my prediction that, practically ;) , anybody she chose is instantly more qualified for the top spot.

Gunny
08-07-2024, 11:32 AM
How was it again the good Governor handled those 2020 riots?:rolleyes:

Problem with that is, Trump can't point that finger. He didn't do anything either.

Kathianne
08-07-2024, 12:12 PM
In fairness, Trump would have had to nationalized the MN reserves, not certain that would have been legal. I think it was the next day after mentioning the possibility that Waltz called them out. It was after billions in damages though.

Black Diamond
08-07-2024, 12:17 PM
In fairness, Trump would have had to nationalized the MN reserves, not certain that would have been legal. I think it was the next day after mentioning the possibility that Waltz called them out. It was after billions in damages though.

It certainly wouldn't have been conservative. Reagan had this very discussion with William F Buckley when he was running for potus.

fj1200
08-07-2024, 12:59 PM
It certainly wouldn't have been conservative. Reagan had this very discussion with William F Buckley when he was running for potus.

Were there specifics? IIRC Governor Reagan called out the reserves during the '68? riots. And federalizing the national guards is constitutional.

But a MN pick might not be the best given the State that killed George Floyd was blue all the way down.

Black Diamond
08-07-2024, 01:49 PM
Were there specifics? IIRC Governor Reagan called out the reserves during the '68? riots. And federalizing the national guards is constitutional.

But a MN pick might not be the best given the State that killed George Floyd was blue all the way down.

Yes. Quite specific. More than i remember. I will post soon

Gunny
08-07-2024, 08:08 PM

It would have been legal. It was warranted and not just in MN. Trump had nothing to lose. He got blamed anyway. What good is law and order if it isn't enforced? If ANY of those criminals in any of those cities -- the ringleaders and officials that egged them on -- were even prosecuted they've kept it low key enough that I haven't of it.

Meanwhile, Jan 6th rioters ...:rolleyes:

Kathianne
08-07-2024, 08:12 PM
It would have been legal. It was warranted and not just in MN. Trump had nothing to lose. He got blamed anyway. What good is law and order if it isn't enforced? If ANY of those criminals in any of those cities -- the ringleaders and officials that egged them on -- were even prosecuted they've kept it low key enough that I haven't of it.

Meanwhile, Jan 6th rioters ...:rolleyes:

Not so sure. I'll look up more when home m

Gunny
08-07-2024, 08:46 PM
Not so sure. I'll look up more when home mThe question is: can he Federalize State militia then use it as domestic police? When the President federalizes guard units it usually is to deploy them with the US military.

I don't know. I also do not recall whether I called for him to send the guard, but I'll eat that bullet. I called for him to send in the "Feds". The Federal government's police agencies outnumber the US military last I checked. If they get their way, the IRS alone will be bigger than the Marine Corps.

I don't recall the Fed government needing the military in Waco, Ruby Ridge or when they're busting into the wrong house.

I do know several federal buildings were assaulted and taken over. They are considered Federal property and the Federal government is responsible for their security.

The only way to stop and deter behavior like that is overwhelming force. Enough that these morons scratch it off their lists of brazen bullsh*t to pull. Most if not all of these people in 4(?) states haven't even been fined.

revelarts
08-08-2024, 08:50 AM
Pretty sure Secret Service won't muff her detail:rolleyes:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUZ4NfbXwAAQgcM?format=jpg&name=small

fj1200
08-08-2024, 09:35 AM
The question is: can he Federalize State militia then use it as domestic police? When the President federalizes guard units it usually is to deploy them with the US military.

Little Rock Nine.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, as the chief law enforcement officer of the United States, was presented with a difficult problem. He was required to uphold the Constitution and the laws, but he also wanted to avoid a bloody confrontation in Arkansas. With Executive Order 10730, the President placed the Arkansas National Guard under federal control and sent 1,000 U.S. Army paratroopers from the 101st Airborne Division to assist them in restoring order in Little Rock.
https://www.archives.gov/milestone-documents/executive-order-10730

fj1200
08-08-2024, 09:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUZ4NfbXwAAQgcM?format=jpg&name=small

:rolleyes:

Gunny
08-08-2024, 09:53 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUZ4NfbXwAAQgcM?format=jpg&name=smallYour concern? That she's a woman? Or she doesn't appear to be in very good shape? Not seeing the point.

Gunny
08-08-2024, 09:55 AM
Little Rock Nine.

https://www.archives.gov/milestone-documents/executive-order-10730I completely forgot that one. Nice catch. It does establish precedent.

revelarts
08-08-2024, 09:58 AM
The question is: can he Federalize State militia then use it as domestic police? When the President federalizes guard units it usually is to deploy them with the US military.

I don't know. I also do not recall whether I called for him to send the guard, but I'll eat that bullet. I called for him to send in the "Feds". The Federal government's police agencies outnumber the US military last I checked. If they get their way, the IRS alone will be bigger than the Marine Corps.

I don't recall the Fed government needing the military in Waco, Ruby Ridge or when they're busting into the wrong house.

I do know several federal buildings were assaulted and taken over. They are considered Federal property and the Federal government is responsible for their security.

The only way to stop and deter behavior like that is overwhelming force. Enough that these morons scratch it off their lists of brazen bullsh*t to pull. Most if not all of these people in 4(?) states haven't even been fined.

Gunny, I really don't get your bottom line on issues.
I mean, you seemed concerned here about the legality or constitutionality of the situation.
But on many issues you default to "in the real world" , the military, the feds or whatever "authority" just need to do what needs to be done to preserve whatever you think is most important.
"Safety", "Freedom" "other nations freedoms", "the country", whatever they mean AFTER "securing" them.... illegally unconstitutionally?
Sometimes you'll say I'm wrong, that XYZ is "legal" because "it's been done before" (which doesn't make it legal). But often you just go to the idea that it just HAS TO be done in the "real world".
Adding that the constitution and laws are just words on paper and the like. you've told me that on more than one occasion.
The constitution and laws are just words on paper ...Until they are not.
Why are you concerned about the legal details here?

revelarts
08-08-2024, 10:06 AM
Your concern? That she's a woman? Or she doesn't appear to be in very good shape? Not seeing the point.

Her seeming lack of good shape,
her height,
her slow and less than top tier movements at Trump's assassination attempt.
I guess not everyone has seen the videos that highlight her work.

Vance is a tall, fairly big guy, IMO at the least, this agent is too small to shield, or help carry him in an emergency.
I suspect she's a decent agent or she wouldn't be there. but IMO she should be in an outer ring of his security detail, not next to him.

fj1200
08-08-2024, 10:18 AM
I completely forgot that one. Nice catch. It does establish precedent.

I think thought one of the exceptions to posse comitatus was enforcing citizens rights or something like that but I couldn't find the specifics. Eisenhower certainly thought he had the authority and I wouldn't doubt it.

NOW, THEREFORE, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the United States, including Chapter 15 of Title 10, particularly sections 332, 333 and 334 thereof, and section 301 of Title 3 of the United States Code, It is hereby ordered as follows:

Kathianne
08-08-2024, 10:21 AM
I completely forgot that one. Nice catch. It does establish precedent.
That was Civil Rights and the need to enforce the 'Law of the Land.' No doubt in my mind on that or similar enforcement issues, when states can't or won't. In MN it seemed to be a choice to allow the anarchists to 'act out,' rather than be reigned in. Just not sure of the fed reach on that type of decision level.

fj1200
08-08-2024, 10:24 AM
That was Civil Rights and the need to enforce the 'Law of the Land.' No doubt in my mind on that or similar enforcement issues, when states can't or won't. In MN it seemed to be a choice to allow the anarchists to 'act out,' rather than be reigned in. Just not sure of the fed reach on that type of decision level.

I'm pretty sure that there were many laws of the land that weren't being enforced. But if trump had sent Federal troops into that powderkeg... :yikes:

Kathianne
08-08-2024, 10:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that there were many laws of the land that weren't being enforced. But if trump had sent Federal troops into that powderkeg... :yikes:

Indeed, whatever Trump did, he'd be racist and impeachable. I don't think though that his record shows those would be reasons he didn't act. I think more likely waiting for legal clarity. In spite of his over the top rhetoric and undisciplined tweets, he really stayed on the strait and narrow when it came to legalities of office. One of the surprises to me.

revelarts
08-08-2024, 10:33 AM
Lincoln & FDR also went outside the lines pretty broadly, internment camps & more.
"Constitution's not a suicide pack" I've been told.
It seems few REALLY have a problem with the govt operating outside of legal boundaries IF folks think it's important to do so.
Seems many people are very selective where the constitution, bill of rights and other laws limiting the govts actions are truly sacrosanct.

While in contrast many people have a very difficult time understanding or supporting people who exercise their rights or do not comply with bogus authorities or unconstitutional laws.

Gunny
08-08-2024, 11:13 AM
Gunny, I really don't get your bottom line on issues.
I mean, you seemed concerned here about the legality or constitutionality of the situation.
But on many issues you default to "in the real world" , the military, the feds or whatever "authority" just need to do what needs to be done to preserve whatever you think is most important.
"Safety", "Freedom" "other nations freedoms", "the country", whatever they mean AFTER "securing" them.... illegally unconstitutionally?
Sometimes you'll say I'm wrong, that XYZ is "legal" because "it's been done before" (which doesn't make it legal). But often you just go to the idea that it just HAS TO be done in the "real world".
Adding that the constitution and laws are just words on paper and the like. you've told me that on more than one occasion.
The constitution and laws are just words on paper ...Until they are not.
Why are you concerned about the legal details here?

Convoluted summation of Rev's take of Gunny.

Gunny
08-08-2024, 11:16 AM
Her seeming lack of good shape,
her height,
her slow and less than top tier movements at Trump's assassination attempt.
I guess not everyone has seen the videos that highlight her work.

Vance is a tall, fairly big guy, IMO at the least, this agent is too small to shield, or help carry him in an emergency.
I suspect she's a decent agent or she wouldn't be there. but IMO she should be in an outer ring of his security detail, not next to him.

I can accept that :)

Black Diamond
08-08-2024, 11:34 AM
https://youtu.be/lTyZAul60ok?si=nZkd_1R8bUS47dRG

It's at the very beginning of the interview. Reagan says it's a local problem first and it addresses fj1200 point about when Reagan called in the guard as governor

Gunny
08-08-2024, 11:58 AM

It's at the very beginning of the interview. Reagan says it's a local problem first and it addresses @fj1200 (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=728) point about when Reagan called in the guard as governorI agree it's a local problem first. Never said otherwise. When the local politicians are going on TV and condoning the anarchy and violence, taunting the President, I'd say local government has failed.

I'll take it one step further and it starts as a personal responsibility issue. Then local government. Both obviously failed. THEN who? Vigilantes or the Feds? Or, as was done, nothing and no one, same as who paid a price for the behavior.

But if you dared defend yourself or your property? THEN the locals acted and threw those who did in jail.

Kathianne
08-08-2024, 12:00 PM

It's at the very beginning of the interview. Reagan says it's a local problem first and it addresses fj1200 point about when Reagan called in the guard as governor
I'm confused. There wasn't any question the governor could call up the reserves, Walz eventually did. I thought the question was whether Trump should or legally coul6have?

fj1200
08-08-2024, 12:05 PM
It's at the very beginning of the interview. Reagan says it's a local problem first and it addresses @fj1200 (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=728) point about when Reagan called in the guard as governor

First. My how far politics has fallen in this country.

Second. I think his answer was spot on. However, his real life example of his actions in CA may not carry forward to today because the presumption that Berkeley cares about law and order vs. cowtowing to the rioters I don't have confidence in. Minneapolis in 2020 saw the arms of government siding with those who protested and rioted not about maintaining law and order.

Black Diamond
08-08-2024, 12:23 PM
I'm confused. There wasn't any question the governor could call up the reserves, Walz eventually did. I thought the question was whether Trump should or legally coul6have?

I am not sure about the legality. My point was it wouldn't be conservative or Reaganesque to do it. So. I looked up the video and he seems to be saying don't do it unless the help is asked for. I don't think they wanted trumps help.

fj1200
08-08-2024, 12:27 PM
I am not sure about the legality. My point was it wouldn't be conservative or Reaganesque to do it. So. I looked up the video and he seems to be saying don't do it unless the help is asked for. I don't think they wanted trumps help.

To the point, the Governor of Arkansas didn't want Eisenhower's help but Eisenhower was correct in helping in the way that he did IMO.

Kathianne
08-08-2024, 12:27 PM

For better or worse, worse imo, no dem state wanted Trump's help in any way but declaration of disaster. In case of MN, at the point in time, still a state decision point imo. Wrong choice also imo, should have been called first night.

Black Diamond
08-08-2024, 12:28 PM
First. My how far politics has fallen in this country.

Second. I think his answer was spot on. However, his real life example of his actions in CA may not carry forward to today because the presumption that Berkeley cares about law and order vs. cowtowing to the rioters I don't have confidence in. Minneapolis in 2020 saw the arms of government siding with those who protested and rioted not about maintaining law and order.

True. It was unreal. I think if trump had sent in troops it would have escalated even more. Exponentially maybe.

fj1200
08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
True. It was unreal. I think if trump had sent in troops it would have escalated even more. Exponentially maybe.

Another unfortunate outcome of the balkanization of US politics.

Gunny
08-08-2024, 12:37 PM
True. It was unreal. I think if trump had sent in troops it would have escalated even more. Exponentially maybe.Hard decisions take a hard person to make them. We are either a nation of law and order, or anarchy.

revelarts
08-08-2024, 01:01 PM
police state... for freedom

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?79492-Gov-Hochul-rolls-back-big-guns-in-National-Guard-NYC-subway-bag-searches

Kathianne
08-08-2024, 01:30 PM
Hard decisions take a hard person to make them. We are either a nation of law and order, or anarchy.

I don't disagree with the premise. I do care about the federated republic though. I'm not all in for anarchy or direct democracy

revelarts
08-08-2024, 03:21 PM
Hard decisions take a hard person to make them. We are either a nation of law and order, or anarchy.
It is good when the Trains run on time and the like... cough...

But I suspect most people would rather have that with the LEAST amount of military & police control/intervention.
Something like a free constitutional republic.
Rather than rule by "a hard person" or "anarchy".

Gunny
08-08-2024, 06:39 PM
police state... for freedom

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?79492-Gov-Hochul-rolls-back-big-guns-in-National-Guard-NYC-subway-bag-searchesA police state in the disparaging manner you use the term would not be necessary if people police themselves. It's called personal accountability. I'm all for it.

Gunny
08-08-2024, 06:44 PM
It is good when the Trains run on time and the like... cough...

But I suspect most people would rather have that with the LEAST amount of military & police control/intervention.
Something like a free constitutional republic.
Rather than rule by "a hard person" or "anarchy".

I'm all for it. Let me know when your plan (you DO have one, right?) works. Until then, you have to play with the and you're dealt.

Kathianne
08-08-2024, 11:20 PM
Not only the stolen Valor gets worse:

https://hotair.com/headlines/2024/08/08/woman-who-stole-nomination-chooses-man-who-stole-valor-n3792883

Woman Who Stole Nomination Chooses Man Who Stole ValorMatt Walsh from Daily Wire 10:00 PM | August 08, 2024

By itself, you might argue this isn’t a big deal. But if you put it together with all of the lies Walz has told about his military record, it starts to paint a picture of a narcissist who enjoys portraying himself as an accomplished veteran, when he’s really a coward who’s hated by the people he served with and later abandoned.

At this point you have to wonder whether Americans will tolerate this for much longer. It’s truly a test of how low the bar is in the Democrat Party, if they keep Tim Walz on as their nominee. And from what we’re hearing, this is just the beginning. ...

If nothing else, the selection of Tim Walz is a pretty clear preview of the level of absolute incompetence a Kamala Harris administration would entail. She could have chosen the governor of Pennsylvania but instead, she went with a Leftist who abandoned his own National Guard unit and then repeatedly lied about it. No matter how many celebrities line up behind Kamala Harris, and no matter how long she hides from the press, the truth about Tim Walz will be impossible to deny. He will continue to drag her campaign down even further with each new revelation of his stolen valor. And by Election Day, millions more people will have come to a basic and obvious realization — which is that a woman who can’t even manage her campaign is not capable of running the country.

Ed Morrissey
This to me is the most salient point about the Walz stolen-valor issue. A competent vetting process, as Duane wrote earlier, would have either chosen a different candidate after discovering these issues or prepared an immediate campaign to defend the running mate. Instead, they've been caught off guard and are trying to make it up as they go along. And this is the one choice entirely within Harris' control.

But more is coming out:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2024/08/06/under-gov-tim-walz-babies-born-alive-in-botched-abortions-were-left-to-die-then-he-removed-reporting-requirements/

NewsUnder Gov. Tim Walz, Babies Born Alive in Botched Abortions Were Left to Die. Then He Removed Reporting Requirements
Mary Margaret Olohan | August 06, 2024

As Democrats and media outlets accuse former President Donald Trump of dramatizing the Democratic abortion agenda, data from the Minnesota Department of Health shows that at least eight babies who survived abortions in the state were left to die.

Under a 2015 Minnesota law, the state formerly was required to report whether abortions resulted in the live birth of a baby, what actions were taken to preserve the life of that baby, and whether the baby survived.

Those reporting requirements exposed that between Jan. 1, 2021, and Dec. 31, 2021, physicians performed five abortions that resulted in a baby’s live birth.

The Daily Signal depends on the support of readers like you. Donate now

No measures were taken to help the first baby, who reportedly had “fetal anomalies” that resulted “in death shortly after delivery.” Two of the babies were given “comfort care measures” as they died. No measures were taken to “preserve life” of the last two babies, who were previable.

Previous data from the Minnesota Department of Health reveals that physicians have been leaving babies to die after failed abortions for years. In 2020, no babies were reported born alive through botched abortions, according to the Minnesota Department of Health.

But between Jan. 1, 2019, and Dec. 31, 2019, three abortions resulted in born-alive babies who were then allowed to die. The first baby reportedly had “fetal anomalies” but also had “residual cardiac activity” for two minutes, yet no efforts were taken to preserve that baby’s life, and “the infant did not survive.”

The second baby died while “comfort care measures” were provided. The third baby was previable and did not receive any attempts to preserve his or her life.

It does not appear that any of the babies born alive in botched abortions survived.

Due to efforts by the state’s Democratic governor, who served from 2019 until the present, Minnesota will no longer even keep track of born-alive babies.

Tim Walz, the new Democratic vice presidential nominee, repealed the bipartisan measure in May 2023, stripping the state’s requirement that measure be taken to preserve the baby’s “life and health” and merely replacing it with a nebulous requirement for “care.”

Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris has refused to specify any limitations on abortion or protections for unborn babies that she would support, indicating that her campaign does not, in fact, support any restrictions on abortion.

When Trump has pointed out that some states leave babies to die after birth, stating, “Hard to believe, they have some states passing legislation where you can execute the baby after birth,” outlets like CNN rate such claims as “false,” writing: “No state has passed or is passing a law that allows the execution of a baby after it is born.”

The Harris campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“Post-birth abortion is real and Harris-Walz support it,” tweeted The Heritage Foundation’s Roger Severino. “At least 5 babies were born alive after botched abortions and left to die under Walz’s watch. Two of these struggling babies were given ‘comfort care’ instead of medical care allegedly in violation of state law.”

“How did Walz respond?” he continued. “By repealing the very law exposing and outlawing this horror and replacing it with abortion-on-demand on the front end, and infanticide on the back end.”

In January 2023, Walz signed a broad abortion law that included no limitations on how late during pregnancy a mother may end the life of her unborn baby.

“To Minnesotans, know that your access to reproductive health, and your right to make your own health care decisions, are preserved and protected,” Walz said then of the Protect Reproductive Options Act. “And because of this law, that won’t change with the political winds and the makeup of the Supreme Court.”

The legislation reads: “Every individual has a fundamental right to make autonomous decisions about the individual’s own reproductive health, including the fundamental right to use or refuse reproductive health care.”

“Reproductive health care” is a euphemism for abortion.

Tyler O’Neil contributed to this report.

Kathianne
08-08-2024, 11:21 PM
Haven't even touched on his pro NAMBLA pov and all things trans...

revelarts
08-09-2024, 06:52 AM
I'm all for it. Let me know when your plan (you DO have one, right?) works. Until then, you have to play with the and you're dealt.
The plan is, always has been, the constitution & bill of rights.
The plan won't work until more people like yourself are honestly "all for it".

Rather than only for it when times are calm.
But when times are shaky they are all for faux safety & security, from a hard person with "pragmatic solutions" & proper decorum, who they think they can have a beer with.

revelarts
08-09-2024, 06:53 AM
Haven't even touched on his pro NAMBLA pov and all things trans...
seriously?
got more info for this?

Black Diamond
08-09-2024, 09:46 AM

https://hotair.com/headlines/2024/08/08/woman-who-stole-nomination-chooses-man-who-stole-valor-n3792883

But more is coming out:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2024/08/06/under-gov-tim-walz-babies-born-alive-in-botched-abortions-were-left-to-die-then-he-removed-reporting-requirements/

Guy already sounds like a piece of work. And he's been the veep nom for what? 3 days?

Gunny
08-09-2024, 09:56 AM
The plan is, always has been, the constitution & bill of rights.
The plan won't work until more people like yourself are honestly "all for it".

Rather than only for it when times are calm.
But when times are shaky they are all for faux safety & security, from a hard person with "pragmatic solutions" & proper decorum, who they think can have a beer with.

The Constitution and Bill of Rights only work in an orderly society. They in fact, are law and give order to society. When people obey only the laws they want, and government enforces only the laws it wants, both law and society are convoluted.

The rest of your comment is pointless projection:rolleyes:

revelarts
08-09-2024, 10:05 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUaPZ9va8AAsM1t?format=jpg&name=small

Gunny
08-09-2024, 10:06 AM

But more is coming out:

That's seriously messed up from any direction anyone wants to look. Allowing babies to reach the stage of viability THEN murdering them? And if they happen to survive that process, just watching them die? THAT should be too much for ANY normal person to handle. They would be charged with murder here.

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 10:11 AM
seriously?
got more info for this?

Just starting with what is findable:

https://upnorthlive.com/news/nation-world/minnesota-dems-strike-language-excluding-pedophilia-as-a-protected-category-under-anti-gay-discrimination-laws

Minnesota Dems strike language excluding pedophilia as protected category under discrimination lawsby ALEC SCHEMMEL | The National DeskWed, April 26th 2023 at 2:59 PM
UserWay icon for accessibility widget
FILE: Minnesota State Capitol 2017 (Wikimedia Commons)
FILE: Minnesota State Capitol 2017 (Wikimedia Commons)
Facebook Share Icon
Twitter Share Icon
Email Share Icon
TOPICS:

St. PAUL, Minn. (TND) — A new bill in the Minnesota Legislature strikes language from the state’s definition of “sexual orientation,” for the purposes of discrimination and other state laws, that excluded sexual attraction to a child as a protected category.

HF 1655 added the term "gender identity" and generated a definition for the term to be used as a guide for related legal matters going forward. The new law also "remov[ed] certain sections in the human rights act that allow for discrimination based on sexual orientation," according to the bill's text.

One of the sections removed broadened anti-discrimination laws around housing, including stripping a previous statute allowing residents seeking to rent out one of their extra rooms to deny applicants on the basis of their sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation or disability.

But the more shocking amendment included in HF 1655 is the removal of "a physical or sexual attachment to children by an adult" from the state's definition of "sexual orientation."

In a nutshell, Democrats in the legislature are seeking to eliminate the exclusion of pedophilia as a protected category when it comes to matters of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

The National Desk (TND) reached out to numerous Minnesota state legislators for clarification on the matter, and to inquire why such a category should be protected under Minnesota's anti-gay discrimination laws.

The bill updates outdated language that incorrectly ties pedophilia to a person's sexual orientation. Nothing in the bill changes or weakens any of the crimes against children, or the state's ability to prosecute those who break the law,"Minnesota House Judiciary Committee Chair Rep. Jamie Becker-Finn (DFL-Roseville) told TND in a statement. "Of course pedophilia is not a sexual orientation - which is why the language never should have been included in the statutory definition in the first place."
HF 1655 has garnered criticismonline, but proponents of the bill argue the language being stricken worked to foster a discriminatory connection that attraction to children is related to one being attracted to members of the same sex.

HF 1655 was introduced as part of the state House's omnibus civil law policy bill, which is scheduled for a Tuesday floor vote, according to Minnesota's Alpha News.

The outlet reported that Republicans intend to introduce a competing amendment to clarify that adults with "a physical or sexual attachment to children" are not a protected class under the state's human rights laws.

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 10:16 AM
A bit more, putting up a defense for him:

https://www.startribune.com/legal-experts-say-change-to-minnesota-human-rights-act-wont-protect-pedophiles/600275868

Legal experts say change to Minnesota Human Rights Act won't protect pedophilesGOP claims DFL will protect adults sexually attracted to children by deleting a sentence from 1993 law.
By Rochelle Olson

May 18, 2023 at 7:58AM

Minnesota’s Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, disability, sex and other protected classes. (Leila Navidi, Star Tribune file/Star Tribune)

Comments icon
Comment

Gift icon
Gift

Share icon

Listen icon
Listen
GOP lawmakers leveled a heavy accusation at the DFL majority during public safety debates in recent days, accusing them of protecting pedophiles — adults who are sexually attracted to children.

A disproportionate amount of debate in the House and Senate over the 500-plus page, $3.5 billion public safety bill focused on the removal of one sentence from the state's Human Rights Act (HRA): "Sexual orientation does not include a physical or sexual attachment to children by an adult."

Rep. Harry Niska, R-Ramsey, said some may now "interpret the HRA to deem pedophilia as a protected class in Minnesota, which prevents them from being denied employment, housing, education and more."

Jess Braverman, legal director for Gender Justice, a St. Paul nonprofit that has advocated for the change, called GOP complaints "manufactured outrage." To protect pedophiles in the HRA, the Legislature would have to specifically add them as a class, Braverman said.

Mike Steenson, professor of law at Mitchell Hamline School of Law, agreed with Braverman. "This doesn't create some sort of broad-based protection for those who prey on minors," he said.

The Minnesota Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, disability, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation and gender identity.

As for the potential for Minnesota judges to find that by removing that language, the Legislature's intent was to protect pedophiles, Steenson said, "I can't imagine any court would interpret it this way."

Earlier this session, Niska, a lawyer, added language to the bill that read: "The physical or sexual attachment to children by an adult is not a protected class under this chapter."

But that sentence was removed from the bill during House-Senate conference committee negotiations and wasn't in the final version of the bill sent to Gov. Tim Walz on Tuesday.

Niska accused Democrats of "putting politics ahead of kids and wearing ideological blinders instead of doing what's right."

Braverman and Steenson note that Minnesota statutes already criminalize adult sexual relationships with minors. Pedophilia "falls into a number of categories of criminal conduct, and that's not changing," Braverman said.

Steenson said it was hard to envision a scenario in which an adult in a sexual relationship with a minor could make a claim of discrimination. "I can't imagine what the argument would be if a pedophile walked into a restaurant with a 14-year-old partner and then was refused service," he said.

Most Read
list card image
Politics
GOP opponent who never served criticizes Gov. Tim Walz's exit from National Guard
list card image
Politics
Trump recommits to a Sept. 10 debate and lashes out at Harris at news conference
list card image
Politics
Legal experts say change to Minnesota Human Rights Act won't protect pedophiles
list card image
Politics
Frustrated Minnesota teachers seek probe of pension fund
During the Senate debate late Friday night, a tearful Sen. Nathan Wesenberg, R-Little Falls, invoked Jesus and called the deletion of the language "disgusting." He urged colleagues to vote against the bill "lest the people of our state come to believe that the majority of this body supports protecting pedophilia."

Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Sen. Ron Latz, DFL-St. Louis Park and a lawyer, rebuffed Wesenberg's claim. "I would really like to put to rest the suggestion, the implication that people who have same-sex or same-gender attractions are pedophiles. That's really what's being hinted at here in this whole discussion," Latz said.

In the House, Rep. Leigh Finke, DFL-St. Paul, denounced the GOP arguments and called the language in the act "a poison pill."

Finke, the first transgender legislator in Minnesota, sponsored the bill to remove the language and add gender identity as a protected class, which is now in the public safety bill awaiting the governor's signature. In her first session at the Capitol, she's been verbally attacked both inside and outside the Capitol, with some Republican colleagues threatening to misgender her.

The sentence about pedophilia went into the HRA in 1993 when Minnesota became the first state in the country to add sexual orientation as a protected class after a yearslong push by the late Sen. Allan Spear and former Rep. Karen Clark, both DFL-Minneapolis.

Latz said Spear agreed to add the pedophilia language "to increase the comfort level of some legislators by making it clear the bill would not do some of the things that opponents claimed it would do."

But he said the HRA never did what "bigoted fear-mongering by right-wing activists" claimed it would. The notion that the state is protecting pedophiles is "not a legitimate reading of this statute," Latz said.

Braverman agreed. "We're revisiting the same old tired stereotypes," Braverman said. "It's just never been the case that the Minnesota HRA protects pedophiles."

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 10:19 AM
Seems that it's easier to nail down Walz today than Harris' staff, 'her position is now...'

https://minnesotareformer.com/2024/08/07/heres-what-tim-walz-has-done-as-governor-of-minnesota/

Abortion Policy
Criminal Justice & Policing
election 2024
Energy & Environment
Government & Politics
Housing & Transportation
Work & Money
Here’s what Tim Walz has done as governor of Minnesota
By: Max Nesterak, J. Patrick Coolican and Deena Winter - August 7, 2024 2:37 pm

Minnesota Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan and Gov. Tim Walz laugh at the Minnesota Capitol during a speech by Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Natalie Hudson on April 22, 2024. Photo by Michelle Griffith/Minnesota Reformer.

Democrats have swiftly fallen for Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s Midwest dad persona, sharing videos of him working on a car, going on a rollercoaster with daughter Hope at the State Fair, signing a bill renaming a street in Prince’s honor in purple ink. But he’s also got a long record as governor.

Walz’s first term was largely defined by the gridlock of divided government and crisis management in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the aftermath of the police murder of George Floyd.

But once Democrats swept control of state government in the 2022 elections with Walz at the top of the ticket, they passed one of the most significant progressive agendas in the nation’s recent history with just a single-seat Senate majority.

Walz represented a Republican-leaning district in the U.S. House and was widely seen as the more centrist of the two leading Democratic candidates for governor, but he’s become a champion of progressive policy as governor. With few exceptions, Walz supported what the Democratic majorities in the state House and Senate could muster the votes to pass.

Those bills — ranging from protecting abortion access to speeding up energy permitting to increasing protections against wage theft — have excited the nation’s Democratic base, which is beginning to learn about the trifecta’s work over the past two years.

Here’s a look at where Walz stands on the issues, based on the bills he’s signed.

Abortion access
Among the first bills Walz signed after Democrats took control of the Legislature was the Protect Reproductive Options Act, guaranteeing that “every individual has a fundamental right to make autonomous decisions about the individual’s own reproductive health.”

The law fulfilled a campaign promise that helped Democrats win control of state government after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, allowing states across the South and Midwest to enact draconian restrictions on abortion.

“The message that we’re sending Minnesota today is very clear: Your rights are protected in the state. You have the right to make your own decisions about your health, your family and your life,” Walz said during a ceremonial bill signing in January 2023.

Democrats then passed a “shield law” aimed at protecting women who travel to Minnesota for abortions by prohibiting state courts, law enforcement and health care providers from cooperating with authorities outside the state.

Finally, Democrats eliminated virtually all restrictions on abortion — many of which had already been deemed unconstitutional — including that abortions after the first trimester be performed in a hospital or abortion facility, that both parents of minors be notified and that the state Department of Health keep data on abortions.

Education

Students from Webster Elementary School in northeast Minneapolis hugged Gov. Tim Walz after he signed a bill on March 17, 2023, providing free breakfast and lunch to Minnesota students. Photo by Michelle Griffith/Minnesota Reformer.
Perhaps the most popular bill Walz signed into law provides free school breakfast and lunch to all kids at eligible schools, regardless of income. The bill signing at a Minneapolis school created the now-ubiquitous image of a mob of schoolchildren embracing Walz as he laughs.

The 2023 Legislature also boosted K-12 education spending by $2.3 billion and early childhood education by $300 million, although school districts complained much of the new funding went to cover new mandates. Among those mandates was The Read Act, which requires school districts to use evidence-based practices to teach reading. School districts must also provide free menstrual products to students.

One of the more controversial policies Walz signed into law banned school police officers from using prone — e.g., face down — restraints on students, which created a mini political crisis when some police departments pulled their officers from schools. Walz said he doesn’t support the use of face-down holds but also signed the bill repealing the ban.

Walz signed a bill providing free college tuition for University of Minnesota and Minnesota State campuses, for families with income of $80,000 or less.

For Walz, a former teacher, achieving a “Minnesota Miracle 2.0” would define his legacy as governor. But the state’s above-average achievement has sunk closer to average during his tenure, while racial disparities, among the worst in the nation, have persisted. In 2015 the Annie E. Casey Foundation ranked the state sixth overall in the U.S. on education quality. By 2024 Minnesota had fallen to 19th place. Increased funding for schools, science-based reading instruction requirements and free universal meals will likely take years to yield results.

Walz was criticized by Republicans for keeping schools shuttered longer than in many Republican-led states. The long periods of remote learning damaged the academic and social/emotional progress of many children, but Walz and his allies said the risk to staff and families was too great.

A federal program — administered by the state Department of Education — designed to feed hungry children when schools and daycares closed became the source of a massive fraud, with over $250 million gone missing. The U.S. attorney has convicted nearly two dozen people of the 70 who have been charged, in what is the biggest pandemic relief fraud in the nation.

Labor

Gov. Tim Walz points to the Duluth Lift Bridge while on a fire truck aerial ladder at a local fire station on Wednesday. Nov. 2, 2022. Photo by Michelle Griffith/Minnesota reformer.
Walz signed into law one of the most significant pro-worker agendas in state history in 2023, including paid sick leave and a state-run paid family and medical leave program providing up to 20 weeks of leave in a single year.

Democrats banned noncompete agreements; banned anti-union captive audience meetings; expanded unemployment benefits to hourly school workers who are off during the summer; made general contractors liable for wage theft by their subcontractors; and raised workplace safety standards at meatpacking plants and Amazon and other big warehouses. The state also established a nation-leading Nursing Home Workforce Standards Board with the power to set wages across the industry.

Walz has also signed massive infrastructure spending packages — known as “bonding bills” — including a $2.6 billion package in 2023 funding many union construction jobs repairing roads, bridges and other critical infrastructure.

Walz broke with his allies in the labor movement on two significant occasions that year, however. Walz insisted on a carve-out for Mayo Clinic from two bills aimed at increasing nurse staffing levels and slowing the rise of health care costs, after the health care giant — and largest private employer in the state — threatened to move billions in future investments out of state. Both bills were gutted.

The president of the Minnesota Nurses Association, the union advocating for the staffing bill, called it a “betrayal.”

Walz also issued the only veto of his tenure on a bill setting minimum pay rates for Uber and Lyft drivers and granting them greater protections from being unfairly deactivated after Uber said it may leave the state. Instead, he created a task force on driver pay and labor standards, which informed a bill he did sign earlier this year.

Environment
One-hundred percent of Minnesota’s energy must come from carbon-free sources by 2040 under a bill Walz signed into law in early 2023, putting the state on one of the most aggressive timelines to shift away from fossil fuels. He also signed a bill to speed up permitting for new energy projects.

While celebrated by environmentalists at the time, his administration has recently earned their ire by advocating for the “carbon free” definition to include burning wood and trash for energy since those sources will emit carbon dioxide whether burned for electricity or left to decompose.

Walz also moved aggressively to curb greenhouse gas emissions by making Minnesota the first state in the Midwest to adopt California’s clean car standards. The standards, which requires car dealers to offer more hybrid and electric vehicles, are set to take effect next year after surviving a lengthy legal battle. His administration’s adoption of the rule will likely provide fodder to the Trump campaign, which called Walz a “radical leftist” in a statement on Tuesday.

“Walz is obsessed with spreading California’s dangerously liberal agenda far and wide,” Karoline Leavitt, Trump campaign press secretary, said following the announcement of Walz as Harris’ running mate.

Along with clean car standards, Walz approved additional tax credits to bring down the cost of electric cars and e-bikes.

Early in his first term, Walz continued a legal challenge from his predecessor’s administration to Enbridge’s Line 3 replacement pipeline. Enbridge ultimately completed the new oil pipeline despite legal challenges and protests by some Native tribes and environmental activists — including outside the governor’s residence. Walz faced harsh criticism from those groups for not using executive power to halt construction.

Environmentalists have also been disappointed that Walz hasn’t tried to stop plans for copper-sulfide mining near the Boundary Waters and in the St. Louis River watershed that feeds into Lake Superior. His administration has defended state permits for PolyMet’s proposed mine near Babbitt, and allowed Twin Metals to conduct drilling tests on state land near the Boundary Waters.

The Biden administration essentially put a 20-year moratorium on the Twin Metals proposal, however, by removing 225,000 acres near the protected wilderness from the federal mining leasing program. Those projects are supported by trade unions, which has put competing pressure on Walz from two important constituencies.

Health care

Gov. Tim Walz and former Gov. Tim Pawlenty, the last Republican elected to statewide office in Minnesota, received their COVID-19 vaccinations. Pool photo.
Like many Democratic governors, Walz put in place a stay-at-home order at the beginning of the pandemic, and later an indoor mask mandate and restrictions on public events at the urging of public health authorities and institutions like the Mayo Clinic.

Walz enlisted former Gov. Tim Pawlenty, the last Republican to win statewide office in Minnesota, in a public show of their COVID-19 vaccination. He required state workers to be vaccinated before they could return to the workplace.

The pandemic decisions were polarizing and at times faced legal challenges. By the time the worst of the pandemic was over, Minnesota had lower COVID-19 death rates than most other states.

Walz spent his first term under divided government fruitlessly pushing for expansion of MinnesotaCare, Minnesota’s health insurance program for the working poor. With Democrats in power, Walz signed a bill moving the state toward establishing a public option that allows all residents without employer-subsidized health insurance to buy into MinnesotaCare. The earliest that could begin is 2027, and lawmakers must still receive federal approval and find a way to fund the new social benefit.

In the first year of his second term, Walz signed a bill to expand public health insurance access to the more than 40,000 undocumented people estimated to live in Minnesota who meet the income requirements of MinnesotaCare beginning as soon as next year.

Walz also signed a bill making Minnesota a refuge for people seeking gender-affirming care.

Marijuana
Democrats duped Republicans into legalizing low-dose THC edibles and drinks in 2022, and then came back for full legalization after taking both chambers in the election that year. Walz ran on legalization in 2018, so this was a promise kept.

The legalization rollout has been a little rocky. Walz’s first choice to lead the Office of Cannabis Management was forced to step aside after media reports that she had been selling THC products with more THC than is legally allowed, had tax liens and unpaid debts. The administration has still yet to name a permanent replacement.

The law includes an expungement mechanism to help people clear their records of marijuana convictions. It also favors communities hardest hit by prohibition by giving them a head start on obtaining a license to open a marijuana dispensary.

Retail sales are expected next spring, MinnPost recently reported.

Policing and public safety

Gov. Tim Walz, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, and Sen. Tina Smith met with business owners that were affected by the looting and riots following the George Floyd protests Friday morning near Midtown Global Market on East Lake Street. Photo by Anthony Souffle/Star Tribune.
The aftermath of the police murder of George Floyd in 2020 presented one of the greatest political and governing challenges of Walz’s career. The widespread destruction of the riots, which followed decades of police abuses, created a lasting liability for him. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey blamed Walz for hesitating to call in the National Guard while the city burned, while Walz’s office said the city did not provide enough detailed information for them to deploy the National Guard until the afternoon of May 28 — after three nights of protests and rioting.

Trump, at his rally in St. Cloud, falsely said he saved Minneapolis by calling in the National Guard, and Republicans have hammered Walz for “allowing” the rioting four years ago.

At the time, Walz also faced pressure to quickly pass police reforms by those far to the left of him championing “defund the police,” a slogan that continues to haunt mainstream Democrats.

Walz did sign a bipartisan bill in 2020 with policing changes, including a ban on certain chokeholds; a ban on “warrior-style” training for police officers; and residency incentives for police officers to live in the city they patrol.

Later, with control of state government, Democrats passed a more sweeping package of changes to policing and criminal justice broadly.

Walz signed a bill changing the state’s standard for deadly force, saying it “shall be exercised judiciously and with respect for human rights and dignity and for the sanctity of every human life.”

Walz also signed a bill banning cops from entering homes without knocking first — with limited exceptions — in response to the 2022 police killing Amir Locke, a young Black man not suspected of any crime.

He also signed off on a massive overhaul of the state’s prison system, making it more rehabilitative and less punitive in an effort to reduce recidivism. It includes earned release, in which prisoners can get out earlier and shorten their community supervision time if they participate in rehabilitation programs. Now, prisoners can get out when half their sentence has been served if they complete programs and behave well; Republicans called it a “get out of jail free” bill.

Walz also signed legislation that limits probation to five years for most felonies (except for homicides and sex crimes); made phone calls free for prisoners; legalizes possession of drug paraphernalia; made it easier for people to expunge non-violent crimes from their records; made it easier to get clemency; and banned people involved in hate or extremists groups from being licensed as police officers.

While governor, the state gave $300 million to cities, counties and tribal governments to spend on law enforcement as they see fit and invested $70 million in community violence prevention grants for victim services, prison re-entry, homelessness assistance, restorative justice, violence interruption and juvenile diversion.

Undocumented Minnesotans can now get a driver’s license after Walz signed a bill in early 2023.

Voting rights

Gov. Tim Walz signs a bill giving Minnesotans on parole or probation the right to vote. Photo by Grace Deng/Minnesota Reformer.
Last year Walz signed legislation restoring voting rights to felons who are no longer imprisoned. The law was upheld this week in the face of a legal challenge.

The bill restored the right to vote to over 50,000 Minnesotans who have completed their sentences but remain on probation or parole. Prior to that, they had to wait until they were out from under the government’s control and had paid their fines and restitution. Given Minnesota’s lengthy probation, that could add up to years.

Walz also signed the Democracy for the People Act, which aims to make casting a ballot easier. The law includes automatic voter registration; allows 16- and 17-year-olds to pre-register to vote; and creates a permanent mail voting list, meaning voters can be automatically sent a mail ballot for every election, without having to apply for one.

Other new election laws Walz signed include a requirement that voting instructions and sample ballots be translated into languages other than English in certain districts; protections for election workers from intimidation or interference; a ban on tampering with voting equipment, ballot boxes and lists of registered voters; and an extension of the right to leave work in order to vote to include the 46 days of early voting.

Taxes
The Legislature passed and Walz signed a 1% sales tax increase in the seven-county Twin Cities metro area, with .75% dedicated to transportation and .25% for housing. It was a major victory for Democrats, who had long sought dedicated funding sources for public transportation and affordable housing. But the tax hike — passed when the Legislature had a $17.5 billion surplus — drew outrage from Republicans.

Walz also signed a bill tying the state’s gas tax to inflation — capped at 3% — which was a politically risky decision as consumers’ budgets were battered by high gas prices and high inflation.

In addition to tax increases, Walz and his Democratic colleagues exempted Social Security income from taxes for joint filers earning less than $100,000 a year.

They also championed tax credits for low-income families, and the state earned the recognition of having the most equitable tax system in the country, according to the left-leaning Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy.

Walz signed one of the nation’s largest child tax credits, which is steeply graduated, granting $1,750 per child for low-income Minnesotans. It begins to phase out for married filers who make $35,000 annually and $29,500 for single taxpayers.

Walz also signed a bill expanding the Working Family Credit, which is the state equivalent of the federal Earned Income Tax Credit.

The Legislature passed and Walz signed a one-time tax rebate of $260-$1,300, depending on family size, in what became colloquially known as a “Timmy stimmy.”

The former renters’ tax credit has become an income tax credit, which is expected to sharply increase the number of people who claim it.

Even as legislators pushed for a novel tax increase on corporations’ international revenue, as well as a fifth income tax tier, Walz let those proposals die on the vine.

Gun control
The perception going into the 2018 campaign for governor that Walz was a moderate was due in large part to his position on guns. He grew up around guns, was a skilled marksman during his military career, hunts pheasants and had long been endorsed by the NRA.

That changed after the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School massacre in Parkland, Florida, which also coincided with Walz’s campaign to win the Democratic-Farmer-Labor endorsement that spring.

“The world’s changed. I’ve changed,” he said at the time.

Since then, he signed bills requiring background checks for all private gun sales; allowing a judge to temporarily take a person’s guns if they are deemed a threat to themselves or others, e.g., a “red flag” law; and increasing the penalty for straw purchases of guns, as when a person buys guns for the express purpose of helping someone get a gun when they are not legally allowed to. That law passed in the wake of the killing of three first responders by a gunman alleged to have used a firearm obtained via a straw purchase.

Housing
Minnesota lawmakers increased the state’s spending on housing about ninefold with a $1 billion spending package — paid for with part of the $17.5 billion surplus in 2023 — to increase affordable housing, prevent homelessness, expand homeownership opportunities and provide rental assistance to thousands of households.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers aimed to increase housing construction by overriding local zoning laws that restrict development and economic inclusion. Most of those proposals failed to get enough support, however, although Walz did sign a bill ending an environmental lawsuit against Minneapolis over its pro-density 2040 plan.

Black Diamond
08-09-2024, 10:36 AM

https://www.startribune.com/legal-experts-say-change-to-minnesota-human-rights-act-wont-protect-pedophiles/600275868

The first thing the left does is change the language that is used.

Black Diamond
08-09-2024, 10:39 AM
Seems that it's easier to nail down Walz today than Harris' staff, 'her position is now...'

https://minnesotareformer.com/2024/08/07/heres-what-tim-walz-has-done-as-governor-of-minnesota/

Yeah she has evolved. In three weeks

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 10:46 AM
Yeah she has evolved. In three weeks

Notice it is NOT her that is saying these things, it's her staff that are moving her towards middle positions. Neither she nor the VP are in the middle, they are far, far left.

Black Diamond
08-09-2024, 10:54 AM
Notice it is NOT her that is saying these things, it's her staff that are moving her towards middle positions. Neither she nor the VP are in the middle, they are far, far left.

Absolutely. This is terrifying. And is there enough time to make the nation realize all this before the euphoria wears off??

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 11:41 AM
Absolutely. This is terrifying. And is there enough time to make the nation realize all this before the euphoria wears off??

That really is up to Trump and Vance.

Black Diamond
08-09-2024, 11:52 AM
That really is up to Trump and Vance.

I guess a lot can happen in three months. Look at all that's happened the last month and a half

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 11:59 AM
I guess a lot can happen in three months. Look at all that's happened the last month and a half
If one just yells, 'weirdo' or 'communist' I doubt many are going to listen-EXCEPT those ignorant rubber stamps for Ds or Trump no matter what. They'll listen, but their votes are just waiting to be cast.

The ones listening? Moderates, independents, issue orientated people.

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 01:27 PM
There is a need to hammer home that Kamala isn't talking to the people, only those that fawn over her. OTOH, Vance went up to the reporters covering Harris. Trump has gone to areas that he's lost in-several times-including Black journalists.

FOX and conservative media keep counting the days she hasn't taken any questions, but Trump can get the coverage from MSM. Stop the 'she's stupid' and start with 'What is she afraid of? She needs to answer the questions of the people and the media needs to speak for the people.' 'What's with the talk of 'from day 1 I'll be working on inflation...' Trump, 'What have you been doing for the last 3.5 years? We have counted X number of times you said that the president and yourself were working on bringing prices down? Why should you be given more time?'

ETC...

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2024/08/09/kamala-ill-do-an-interview-before-the-end-of-the-month-n3792904

Kamala: 'I'll Do an Interview Before the End of the Month'David Strom 12:00 PM | August 09, 2024

AP Photo/Julia Nikhinson
It's August 9th today, and Kamala Harris has been the Democrat nominee for about three weeks.

In that time she has given prepared remarks almost exclusively, with a sentence or two deviations, but taken no questions from reporters. During that time reporters have excused this as Kamala getting her feet under her, as if she hasn't been in politics for decades and Vice President for 3 1/2 years.

J.D. Vance has taken more questions from Kamala's press corps than she has. Literally, that's the case. He offered himself up to them on an airport tarmac, and they were so stunned they declined to ask any questions but one. It was a stunning case of media malpractice, but at least he tried to help them do their jobs.

As Republicans "pounce" on Kamala's unwillingness to speak in any setting other than with prepared remarks, the Harris campaign has finally let it be known that she will make unscripted remarks to a press person sometime "before the end of the month."

I can't wait to see her stare down an Ayatollah or sit across the table from Vladimir Putin. She can't even face a fawning journalist.

The mainstream media have been giving Harris the celebrity treatment, turning her into a fake superstar who is suddenly "Momala" presiding over Kamalot, so it's not like she has much to worry about.

At least, she doesn't have to worry about any journalist doing anything that might hurt her. She has to worry about Kamala Harris torpedoing her campaign.

Kamala Harris and Tim Walz have little to worry about when it comes to media scrutiny, but they both have a lot to worry about when it comes to opening up about their vision for the country, their records, and most of all, Kamala's tendency to speak like a sloppy drunk after a night on the town.

Scott Adams insists that she is drunk or such a good imitation of a drunk person that she is indistinguishable from a day drinker. I don't have his olfactory skills, so I can't say anything about her actual alcohol consumption, but once you see the bizarre way she talks in that frame, it is difficult to unsee it. She speaks in circles, laughs inappropriately, looks profoundly uncomfortable when speaking off the cuff, and says incredibly stupid things in a very serious tone as if she is covering her inebriation with a tone of voice.

It is this reason more than any other that keeps her from extemporaneously speaking, and it is the sycophancy of the media that keeps them from pointing it out and demanding that a person with a legitimate shot at being president either in the next few months or through election is incapable of doing the minimum job of any politicians: speaking coherently.

Trump, of course, has an extremely odd way of speaking that puts a lot of people off, but having watched him do the job of president and doing it well, we can feel pretty confident that the country and the world would be well off under him. The economy was great, the world was at peace, our enemies were scared, and looking back, people remember the years more fondly than they did at the time.

Harris? Her record is...disturbing. She has had few specific tasks as Vice President, but two that come to mind are the border, which has been a disaster, and the Space Council, which has been a disaster. Anything she has touched has been a disaster.

Democrats don't care, of course, because she will keep the gravy train going, and the media doesn't care because she will keep them tied to power. It is a lovefest for them.

But it sure would be nice to hear from her. You would think that ordinary people who are giving Kamala a serious look for the first time would have a right to hear from her in an honest conversation and not poll-tested speeches.

And, it seems we will, in three weeks or so and just prior to the start of voting. But not a moment before.

No matter how much you hate the mainstream media, it is not nearly enough. After all, they pretty clearly hate you and treat you with contempt.

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 01:28 PM
BTW, Kamala, why are there no policy pages on your website? We need to know where you stand-you MUST address what your positions are.

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 02:25 PM
and back to the weirdo. Good Croce song at end of the post via link:

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2024/08/09/the-company-walz-chooses-hosted-pro-hitler-muslim-cleric-who-celebrated-oct-7-n3792911

The Company Walz Chooses: Hosted Pro-Hitler Muslim Cleric Who Celebrated Oct 7Ed Morrissey 2:00 PM | August 09, 2024

AP Photo/Adam Bettcher, File
This report from Washington Examiner reporter Gabe Kaminsky offers us two possible insights into the Kamala Harris campaign. One: They have done a terrible job at vetting for Harris' most important decision of the campaign. Or two: They did an excellent job at vetting and this really shows the values Harris will bring to the presidency.

I pray that it's Option One, but I suspect that it's Option Two.

According to Kaminsky and his research, Tim Walz has repeatedly hosted a Muslim cleric who praises Hitler, as well as including him in his 2019 state address. Asad Zaman has also recently praised the October 7 massacre and atrocities as a legitimate expression of Palestinian grievances:

The imam, Asad Zaman of the Muslim American Society of Minnesota, joined other Muslim leaders in May 2023 for a meeting about mosque security with Walz’s gubernatorial office in Minnesota. Zaman also spoke at a May 2020 event to call for peaceful protests with the governor during the riots in Minnesota sparked after George Floyd’s death. In April 2019, the cleric delivered an invocation before Walz’s state address — just months after Zaman called for an end to a government shutdown at a press conference with Walz in January 2019.

In other words, the ties between Walz and Zaman are not just a coincidence of scheduling. Zaman appears to be one of Walz' go-to figures when he wants a Muslim perspective, which of course matters in a state with a significant Muslim population, as the Twin Cities has. Having an ecumenical and comprehensive approach to policy is not the issue here, but rather the choice of advisers Walz makes for that purpose.

For instance, if Walz chooses advisers who think Adolf Hitler got a bad rap and that the Jews are evil, that goes to both judgment and ecumenism, no?

Zaman, meanwhile, has used his Facebook page over the years to share official Hamas press releases, blog posts on antisemitic websites slamming Jews, and, in one 2015 instance, a link to a piece on a website for a pro-Hitler film called The Greatest Story Never Told. The propaganda movie was released in 2013 and is a favorite among antisemites and QAnon conspiracy influencers, according to the Anti-Defamation League.

Kaminsky has more from the ADL about Zaman, so be sure to read the rest of his report. Zaman also Has Deep Thoughts on the rape, slaughter, and kidnapping committed by Hamas on October 7. He's in favor of it:

Zaman, who is from Bangladesh, said on Oct. 7 of last year that he “stands in solidarity with Palestinians against Israeli attacks.” That day, which saw 1,200 Israelis murdered by Hamas terrorists, he also shared an image of a Palestinian flag on Facebook in response to a post by Yusuf Abdi Abdulle, director of the Islamic Association of North America, declaring that “Palestine has the right to defend itself.” The Biden-Harris administration, Abdulle wrote in the post, was “on the wrong side of history” in “supporting the extremist Zionist regime and its illegal settlements.”

Nor is this the only association Walz has with radical anti-Semitic figures in the Muslim community. Earlier this week, the Free Beacon's Chuck Ross had explored Walz' relationship with Hatem Bazian, although this looks less consistent than Walz' connections to Zaman:

Walz, the governor of Minnesota, appeared at the "Challenging Islamophobia" conference, hosted by CAIR's Minnesota chapter on March 28, 2019, at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul. Walz gave introductory remarks at the event and announced the formation of a civil rights office to address Islamophobia in the state, which has the largest population of Somali Muslims in the country.

Photos of the conference show Walz posed with Hatem Bazian, an anti-Semitic scholar who has for years defended anti-Israel terrorist activity. Bazian is the founder of Students for Justice in Palestine, the group behind many of the pro-Hamas and anti-Semitic rallies across college campuses in the wake of the Oct. 7 attacks. The group's George Washington University chapter projected the slogan "Glory to Our Martyrs" days after the attack. Bazian also founded Students for Justice in Palestine's parent group American Muslims for Palestine, an influential anti-Israel organization under investigation in Virginia for allegedly financing terrorist activity.

This is starting to look like a pattern, but especially so with Zaman. And it's a pattern that would have been fairly easy to discover in any normal vetting process. That prompts the question that we started with: Did Team Kamala fumble the vetting process, or is this exactly what they wanted in a running mate?

Consider this in light two developments this week. First, Harris snubs Josh Shapiro as a running mate, despite the obvious help he could provide in winning Pennsylvania, where he has a job approval rating of 61%. While Democrats have offered a blizzard of excuses for that decision, the fact remains that the progressive Left pushed back hard on Shapiro for his support of Israel, and almost certainly because he's Jewish. Second, Harris then plays footsie with the pro-Palestinian "Uncommitted" activist leadership on a potential arms embargo on Israel.

Now ask this: Did any other candidate on the Veepstakes short list have this level of cred with the radical pro-Palestinian activists that Harris and Biden pandered to ever since October 7? If not, it's difficult to see this as a mere coincidence created by a vetting failure on Eric Holder's part. It looks more like a deliberate choice -- and a very clear signal that Harris and Walz will turn American foreign policy in the Middle East in a radical direction.

Or put more succinctly in one of my favorite poems, set to music by my favorite performer, it's all about the company Walz chooses -- and Harris, too. And the pig got up and slowly walked away ...

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 02:37 PM
and developing a pattern? Claiming credit that is overblown? It's good to serve, reserves or regular military. Later claiming a rank not earned? Not so good. Claiming war service, when avoided that, really bad.

Coaching kids? Good, even as assistant. Claiming the force behind winners, when not? Not so good.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/saraharnold/2024/08/09/another-big-lie-walz-is-trying-to-sell-n2643186?utm_source=thdailypm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=5a1e64a4977b39eb6bf432b4213b92d65acd30e7aaa22 5f1d05c39ddefaf5434&lctg=29506369

Another Big Lie Tim Walz Is Trying to SellSarah Arnold
Sarah Arnold
|
August 09, 2024 11:00 AM

AP Photo/Joe Lamberti
As Democratic vice presidential nominee Gov. Tim Walz (D-MN) 's ever-growing list of lies continues to grow, critics point out he hasn’t been entirely honest about his career as a football coach.

Walz, who has often boasted about his accomplished football coaching career, embellished critical details of the truth, much like his military rank fiasco, in which he referred to himself as a “retired command sergeant major”— a position he never held.

The Democrat governor has repeatedly claimed he was the driving force behind turning Mankato West High School’s football team into champions. However, it was revealed that he wasn’t the bigwig he paraded himself to be.

In truth, Walz served as the defensive coordinator under head coach Rick Sutton.

While a defensive coordinator still plays a crucial role in coaching a football team, the white lie adds to his other lies, which have come under scrutiny since Vice President Kamala Harris appointed him as her running mate.

Recommended

Harris' Walz Problem Just Got Even Messier
Rebecca Downs

This revelation comes after it was revealed Walz also lied about being “deaf" for why he fled from police after being pulled over for driving drunk after going over 95 miles per hour in a 55-speed zone in 1995. He also claimed he was “not drunk,” despite failing a field sobriety test and a preliminary breath test.

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 02:40 PM
and back to the weirdo. Good Croce song at end of the post via link:

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2024/08/09/the-company-walz-chooses-hosted-pro-hitler-muslim-cleric-who-celebrated-oct-7-n3792911

Related:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/rebeccadowns/2024/08/09/tim-walz-met-with-anti-israel-imam-n2643191?utm_source=thdailypm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=5a1e64a4977b39eb6bf432b4213b92d65acd30e7aaa22 5f1d05c39ddefaf5434&lctg=29506369

Harris' Walz Problem Just Got Even MessierRebecca Downs
Rebecca Downs
|
August 09, 2024 2:15 PM

AP Photo/Matt Rourke
Since he was selected as Vice President Kamala Harris' running mate earlier this week, there has been considerable chatter about the headache that Gov. Tim Walz (D-MN) has caused. Among the latest causes for concern is a report from Friday detailing how Walz hosted an imam who celebrated the October 7 attacks against Israel and promoted a pro-Hitler website.

As Gabe Kaminsky of the Washington Examiner reported about Walz and Imam Asad Zaman of the Muslim American Society of Minnesota:

Democratic vice presidential nominee Tim Walz, on at least five occasions as governor of Minnesota, hosted a Muslim cleric who celebrated Hamas‘s Oct. 7 attack last year on Israel and promoted a film popular among Neo-Nazis that glorifies Adolf Hitler, the Washington Examiner found.

The imam, Asad Zaman of the Muslim American Society of Minnesota, joined other Muslim leaders in May 2023 for a meeting about mosque security with Walz’s gubernatorial office in Minnesota. Zaman also spoke at a May 2020 event to call for peaceful protests with the governor during the riots in Minnesota sparked after George Floyd’s death. In April 2019, the cleric delivered an invocation before Walz’s state address — just months after Zaman called for an end to a government shutdown at a press conference with Walz in January 2019.

Zaman, moreover, attended a May 2019 event that Walz hosted for Ramadan, social media posts show.

Walz’s ties to Zaman could serve as problematic baggage for the Minnesota governor as he campaigns with Vice President Kamala Harris, the Democratic presidential nominee. News of the ties also comes after a Washington Free Beacon report this week found Walz spoke at a 2019 event with an antisemitic scholar who has defended terrorism against Israel.

In recent years, Zaman has also appeared to equate Hamas committing terrorism to Israel defending itself. State records reviewed by the Washington Examiner show Walz’s administration has awarded over $100,000 in funding to MAS Minnesota.

The Muslim American Society was once described by federal prosecutors as being “founded as the overt arm of the Muslim Brotherhood in the United States,” court records show. The MAS, which the United Arab Emirates designated as a terrorist group in 2014, came under fire in 2019 after a video surfaced online of children at an event held by its Philadelphia chapter calling for the murder of Jews.

“We will chop off their heads, and we will liberate the sorrowful and exalted Al-Aqsa Mosque,” two young girls said at the event, according to the Times of Israel.

Walz’s office and Minnesota’s Muslim American Society did not reply to requests for comment.

Recommended

Shameless: Democrats, Media Move Goalposts on Walz's 'Stolen Valor' Controversy
Guy Benson
The report highlights plenty of examples of problematic social media posts made by Zaman.

On October 7, the very same day that Israel was attacked, Zaman shared a post to his Facebook page from the Muslim American Society. "MAS STANDS IN SOLIDARITY WITH PALESTINIANS AGAINST ISRAELI ATTACKS," the post claimed, before ranting against "Israeli occupation" and "inhumane blockade of Gaza." The post made no mention of the 1,200 Israelis killed by Hamas terrorists, or of the torture, rape, and kidnapping that occurred.

The report also mentions Zaman using his Facebook to share a Hamas press release in 2016, as well as an anti-Israeli blog post from 2014 on "Israeli Atrocities in Palestine, The Real Terrorism in Palestine."

In 2015, Zaman shared a link to a pro-Hitler film "The Greatest Story Never Told," which is described as a "propaganda movie... released in 2013 and is a favorite among antisemites and QAnon conspiracy influencers, according to the Anti-Defamation League."

Zaman also took issue with Democratic lawmakers expressing their support for Israel after the attacks, including Rep. Katie Porter (D-CA) and Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party Chairman Ken Martin on October 10.

As Martin shared how he was "beyond heartbroken" as he had visited the Kfar Aza Kibbutz and knew of Israelis who had been "brutally killed or kidnapped," the imam still posted to ask if he had visited Gaza. He also railed against "apartheid Israel" with regards to how the "DFL cannot be joined at the hip to apartheid Israel and still hope to court the Muslim vote."

Zaman has continued to post and repost anti-Israeli propaganda posts, including accusing our ally in the Middle East of "ethnic cleansing through genocide and purposeful starvation."

When it comes to Walz's social media posts from October 7, it's even more telling that his official account posted that "Minnesota condemns the horrific attacks on Israel by Hamas," despite his meetings with Zaman.

Bonchie, in writing about these reported meetings for our sister site RedState, pointed out how Walz has the support of Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), a member of the anti-Israel Squad, as well as soon to be former Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY), a Squad member who lost his primary in June.

Walz certainly seems to have brought baggage to the ticket, with one of the many trends about the governor being, "Walz Hosted Pro-Hitler Cleric."

Users have shared Kaminsky's report to suggest Walz wasn't even vetted.

Meanwhile, Harris bypassed Gov. Josh Shapiro (D-PA) as her running mate in favor of Walz. While reports indicate concerns with how Shapiro handled his interview and that there were some misgivings about the governor leaving Pennsylvania, it can't be ignored that fellow Democrats have raised concerns about Shapiro being Jewish and his support for Israel, which speaks to the antisemitism of the party that includes pro-Hamas and anti-Israel folks in its base.

fj1200
08-09-2024, 02:47 PM
... concerns with how Shapiro handled his interview ...

How sad it must be to have been interviewed by the incompetent one.

Black Diamond
08-09-2024, 03:05 PM
Related:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/rebeccadowns/2024/08/09/tim-walz-met-with-anti-israel-imam-n2643191?utm_source=thdailypm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=5a1e64a4977b39eb6bf432b4213b92d65acd30e7aaa22 5f1d05c39ddefaf5434&lctg=29506369

So she said no to the jew and yes to this. Wow.

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 03:06 PM
So she said no to the jew and yes to this. Wow.

I was off today, a bit of time to look for stuff.

Black Diamond
08-09-2024, 03:07 PM
I was off today, a bit of time to look for stuff.

You've uncovered a lot.

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 03:08 PM
This is what I'm saying that Trump/Vance need to do, the MSM won't. Got to go to link to catch up with the story:

https://hotair.com/headlines/2024/08/09/what-is-team-kamala-really-hiding-n3792903

What is Team Kamala Really Hiding?Matthew Continetti from Free Beacon 12:00 PM | August 09, 2024

Politico reports that "Harris' top communications aides are deeply skeptical, as Biden's inner circle was, that doing big interviews with major TV networks or national newspapers offer much real upside when it comes to reaching swing voters." Is that why Team Biden was "deeply skeptical" of putting him in front of cameras? Or—to take just one example—did they decline the Super Bowl interview last February to hide his condition from the public?

The second option is more likely. And if that is the case, then what is the Harris campaign hiding? Not the effects of old age. The vice president turns 60 years old in October. What Harris is trying to avoid is substance. She doesn't want to offer specific answers, concrete policies, persuasive explanations in an open setting. If that were to happen, she might be unprepared. She might whip up a word salad. Her Progressivism might show. The press might be forced to cover something other than the "joy" and "vibes" she has brought to the trail.

Why would Harris want to do that? Republicans and conservatives (and I) will continue to complain that she's ducking the media. It won't matter. Harris and her media allies will engage in a conspiracy of silence until she has no choice.

Ed Morrissey
The solution, Continetti writes, is to go full-throat against the Biden-Harris record. Force Kamala out of the shadows to defend it, specifically and on the record. It would be helpful if the Stenogralists of the mainstream media started demanding on-the-record Q&As, but until they do, Trump and Vance will have to define her record for voters to force a response.

Kathianne
08-09-2024, 04:51 PM
Past is prologue:

https://thenationalpulse.com/2024/08/09/kamala-running-mate-tim-walz-imposed-95-percent-tax-on-zyn-in-minnesota/

Kamala’s VP Wannabe Tim Walz Levied WHOPPING 95% Tax on Zyn. (https://thenationalpulse.com/2024/08/09/kamala-running-mate-tim-walz-imposed-95-percent-tax-on-zyn-in-minnesota/)

Governor Tim Walz (https://thenationalpulse.com/2024/08/07/kamalas-running-mate-tim-walz-signed-civil-rights-bill-that-removed-anti-pedo-language/) (D-MN), tapped as Kamala Harris (https://thenationalpulse.com/2024/07/26/kamala-more-cops-on-the-street-doesnt-lead-to-more-safety/)‘s running mate in the upcoming presidential election, approved an astonishing 95 percent tax on Zyn, the popular tobacco-free nicotine product, in the North Star State this year. Previously, the tax on “moist snuff” did not include Zyn, as it contains no tobacco, but the law was amended (https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/tobacco-tax-requirements) to gouge users of Zyn and “similar tobacco-free product[s] containing nicotine” in May.
The tax on cigars, including premium cigars, smoking (https://thenationalpulse.com/2023/11/28/new-zealand-is-reversing-its-controversial-smoking-ban-because-it-needs-the-tax-revenue/) tobacco, chewing tobacco, e-cigarettes, and vapor products in Minnesota (https://thenationalpulse.com/2024/08/06/kamala-running-mate-tim-walz-set-up-covid-snitch-line-in-minnesota/) is also set at 95 percent.

As Governor, Walz (https://thenationalpulse.com/analysis-post/tim-walzs-disastrous-economic-legacy-in-minnesota-is-unthinkable-for-america/) has created (https://www.atr.org/tim-walz-raised-taxes-by-billions-while-spending-18-billion-surplus-in-single-budget/) a new payroll tax, raised taxes on retail deliveries, motor vehicle sales, corporate income tax, and net investment income, and reduced itemized deductions. He also greenlit local sales and purchase taxes in the seven-county metro area surrounding the Twin Cities of Minneapolis (https://thenationalpulse.com/2024/08/07/harris-and-walz-a-tag-team-says-vance-he-let-rioters-burn-down-minneapolis-she-helped-bail-them-out-of-jail/) and St. Paul.
Under his stewardship, the North Star State has seen GDP growth less than half (https://thenationalpulse.com/analysis-post/tim-walzs-disastrous-economic-legacy-in-minnesota-is-unthinkable-for-america/) that of the wider economy (https://thenationalpulse.com/2024/02/29/insurance-spike-proves-inflation-still-a-massive-problem/)

Gunny
08-09-2024, 05:45 PM

Bullshit.

Gunny
08-09-2024, 05:49 PM

Like I said, his troops dodged a bullet when he retired.

Gunny
08-09-2024, 05:54 PM
I was off today, a bit of time to look for stuff.Not that it was noticeable:laugh:

Kathianne
08-10-2024, 08:59 AM
Bullshit. Gunny

Look what I just came upon regarding that particular newspaper:

https://hotair.com/headlines/2024/08/10/splains-those-gushy-big-dad-energy-barftastic-articles-mn-tribune-publisher-worked-for-walz-n3792935

'Splains Those Gushy 'Big Dad Energy' Barftastic Articles - MN Tribune Publisher Worked for WalzMN Up North Lake Guy 8:00 AM | August 10, 2024

Beege Welborn
So the Harris-Walz campaign has its own newspaper, is what you're saying?

Did I read that right?

Gunny
08-10-2024, 09:44 AM
@Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30)

Look what I just came upon regarding that particular newspaper:

https://hotair.com/headlines/2024/08/10/splains-those-gushy-big-dad-energy-barftastic-articles-mn-tribune-publisher-worked-for-walz-n3792935Why not? At least it's "honest" dishonesty. This statement of course pre-denial from the rag:rolleyes:

Shooting from the hip, here's Walz's problem with the "Dad of the Year" image they're trying to present: His behavior/actions don't match up to anything of the sort. His track record just as MN Gov is a trail of destruction, literally and ideally. His abortion BS is enough to view him through a lens as inhuman. While worth mention as just one more personal clusterf*ck he has created for himself, I'm not getting sucked down the stolen valor rabbit hole the right is trying to build.

There's nothing right about this guy.

Having his own personal rag is just par for the course. I have noticed since Harris was anointed, and especially after selecting Walz, the entire MSM is coming off the fence and (those that appeared at times to be on it) and circling the wagons. They aren't fooling me with their duplicitous use of words and statements that appear benign and unaligned but definitely lead the reader down their hole.

The MSM has ensured there is no truth based on actual fact for anyone to read. Headlines anymore are "Joe Bob Mad his Feeling Perfectly Clear on Sue Ellen ..." (be a good boy and click to see what Joe Bob thinks. You know you want to because you need to know):rolleyes:

Kathianne
08-10-2024, 09:53 AM
Why not? At least it's "honest" dishonesty. This statement of course pre-denial from the rag:rolleyes:

Shooting from the hip, here's Walz's problem with the "Dad of the Year" image they're trying to present: His behavior/actions don't match up to anything of the sort. His track record just as MN Gov is a trail of destruction, literally and ideally. His abortion BS is enough to view him through a lens as inhuman. While worth mention as just one more personal clusterf*ck he has created for himself, I'm not getting sucked down the stolen valor rabbit hole the right is trying to build.

Having his own personal rag is just par for the course. I have noticed since Harris was anointed, and especially after selecting Walz, the entire MSM is coming off the fence and (those that appeared at times to be on it) and circling the wagons. They aren't fooling me with their duplicitous use of words and statements that appear benign and unaligned but definitely lead the reader down their hole.

The MSM has ensured there is no truth based on actual fact for anyone to read. Headlines anymore are "Joe Bob Mad his Feeling Perfectly Clear on Sue Ellen ..." (be a good boy and click to see what Joe Bob thinks. You know you want to because you need to know):rolleyes:

I'm going to make one thing clear here, while not easy, it's certainly NOT required that any member of the RESERVES, NOT Active Duty, needs to leave the military to run for political office. There are requirements on what can be used/divulged, but spelled out clearly:

https://dodsoco.ogc.osd.mil/Portals/102/Documents/Political%20Activities%20Docs/2020%20FAQs%20Active%20Duty.pdf?ver=1rc0Tk-4-Kaqo4Wzal6Q3g%3D%3D

Kathianne
08-10-2024, 11:30 AM
Why not? At least it's "honest" dishonesty. This statement of course pre-denial from the rag:rolleyes:

On that bolded, read and tell me what you disagree with. I'm pretty certain you can see his X post without signing up:

https://hotair.com/headlines/2024/08/10/the-ignominy-of-master-sergeant-timothy-walz-n3792946

The Ignominy of Master Sergeant Timothy WalzCynical Publius from X (https://twitter.com/CynicalPublius/status/1821768321630679397)12:10 PM | August 10, 2024

(?subject=The%20Ignominy%20of%20Master%20Sergeant% 20Timothy%20Walz&body=The%20Ignominy%20of%20Master%20Sergeant%20Tim othy%20Walz%20https://hotair.com/headlines/2024/08/10/the-ignominy-of-master-sergeant-timothy-walz-n3792946)
(https://hotair.com/headlines/2024/08/10/the-ignominy-of-master-sergeant-timothy-walz-n3792946#thm-comments-bookmark)

The last couple of days have been a whirlwind of controversy regarding the military service record of Democrat Vice Presidential candidate Tim Walz. My X account has seen the most traffic it has ever known as I have discussed this issue at length, and I thought it would be a good idea now to take a deep breath and kind of recap where we are at in this controversy. I know for sure that the veteran community is fired up over this issue, but I sense that many from the non-veteran community do not know what to think given the competing arguments from both sides of the political aisle. I would like to share my own personal experiences and thoughts as a retired Army Colonel and veteran of both Iraq and Afghanistan. What I hope for civilians to understand is this: the issue is not the number of years Walz served, or when he submitted his retirement paperwork, or what his final rank was, or even—just as a stand-alone proposition—whether he ever went to combat. No, the issue is the unique and special position of trust he held when he decided to walk away from his soldiers, his unit, and his nation. I’ll explain.

https://x.com/CynicalPublius/status/1821768321630679397

Gunny
08-10-2024, 01:23 PM
On that bolded, read and tell me what you disagree with. I'm pretty certain you can see his X post without signing up:

https://hotair.com/headlines/2024/08/10/the-ignominy-of-master-sergeant-timothy-walz-n3792946

https://x.com/CynicalPublius/status/1821768321630679397I can't get past the blurb you pasted, but no need. I've read and seen enough.

First, I am not defending Walz by any means. I am trying to maintain moral high ground, regardless the facts, or who it pisses off. The right/Republican't's and ESPECIALLY vets should be too rather than jumping on the appeal to emotions train coming stating as fact conclusions that may or may not be. I've NEVER been a big fan of accusing someone of "stolen valor" without rock solid evidence to begin with.

Fact, in writing: Walz stated he carried weapons IN war. Scumbag move for political gain. That is stolen valor. Enough for me. It is what it is without embellishment.

Fact: His internet page lists him as a CSM. He's had plenty of time to correct that error if he wanted to. I believe he did not, again, for political gain. Not sure if that's "stolen valor" or not, but it certainly is a lie and one that pisses me off personally as much as professionally given my friendship with Mike, a REAL CSM.

Unsure without more info: He deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. Doesn't matter if they sent him to Italy. If the mission stated was "in support of Operation Enduring Freedom" then it is what it is, regardless where the military sent him. If he has made a statement he was deployed to Afghanistan, I have not seen it. THAT would change the conversation and would be IMO "stolen valor" claiming to have been deployed to a combat zone when he had not.

Not so much a fact: He abandoned his troops when he retired, blah, blah blah (insert histrionic appeal to emotion here). Bullshit. Once he had 20 years it was his prerogative to request retirement for any reason he chooses. To run for or hold office? Whatever. The timeline of events as to when he requested retirement and when he knew his unit was going to deploy is technically irrelevant and has not been specifically laid out with time and dates that I have seen some form of proof he was dodging deployment. Regardless timing, he would have had to choose between holding public office and deploying. Had he been indispensable, the Amry could refuse his request for retirement and forced him to serve at least time remaining on his contract.

Not sure how the Army Guard views it, but when you request retirement in the Marine Corps, once approved, your replacement shows up and you are stuck training them up to speed. Military rank structure is a pyramid and the guy at the top is holding back at least 3 or more people who want that slot as a CSM. He moves out, everybody else in the pyramid moves up. No one in the military is indispensable. Position opens up and you get replaced. You break down, you get replaced.

While situations were nowhere similar, I retired before a deployment. We weren't at war for one thing. I've got 5 under my belt for another. It wasn't to get out of deployment. Fact remains, retirement was approved and my replacement was at the door within a week. I was done and needed to move on. Isn't that what this guy did, regardless reason? My troops were trained to respond to the position, not me personally. We all are. Matter of fact, what's the difference between retirement and getting a set of orders to another station? Very little from the unit's perspective.

Point being, I disagree with those on the right making an issue out something it doesn't have the answers to, and hanging their hats on it as fact. That makes "us" look bad regardless any effect it has on Walz, which I have already stated will probably be minimal.

This is just personal as much as professional: If some one hitch Corporal with a camera and one deployment started talking trash about me, a SNCO, I'd have his ass for an appetizer not even lunch. He better bring his lunch and a stack of paperwork to support his bullshit instead of some guesswork gotcha's. Freakin boot-ass, cash sales-smelling Remington raider talking shit about or to me? A four year hitch is just enough time to make a Cpl more dangerous to himself and his fellow Marines because he's learned just enough to think he knows WTF is going on. I did. We all did. No going around it. And there was always a salty ass Gunny around you right in your place :)

To clarify: it doesn't bother me that Vance is attacking Walz when it's about the facts. It bothers me when he embellishes them or runs with things that can be plausibly denied. Especially when this piece of fruit has a political record, that is a matter of provable fact, that could be used to destroy him. I'm not okay that this has turned into a public argument even in Congress as THE argument, rather than Walz's abysmal political record.

Kathianne
08-10-2024, 01:32 PM
A few points before I try to grab some points in X post. I don't know that Walz 'claimed' to have served in Iraq or Afghanistan, but several times, once by Pelosi he was introduced as having served in combat in either or both. He did NOT clarify that was not so. Is that stolen valor? When it appears on C-Span?

Now for the excerpts. Your thoughts regarding this guys points? :

.... Knowing that his unit was deploying, Walz nevertheless chose to retire from the National Guard in May of 2005 to pursue his Congressional campaign.5. Serving members of the National Guard and the Reserves routinely also serve in Congress, and always have. Tulsi Gabbard is an excellent recent example. Walz did not necessarily need to retire to run for Congress. However, an Iraq deployment he might have instead chosen to participate in would, in fact, have prevented him from campaigning.
6. Walz’s retirement meant he did not fulfill a contractual service commitment he willingly entered into when the Army selected him to attend the United States Army Sergeants Major Academy. As a result, the Army reduced his official retirement rank from E-9 to E-8.
These are facts. Now let's explain what was so egregious in what Walz did...

So Walz retired when he was allowed to and ran for Congress instead—what’s the big deal, right? Well had Walz been some slug E-8 holding down some clerical job in the 34th Infantry Division Headquarters, counting his days until retirement, and he had opted to take a lawful retirement rather than go to Iraq, no one would care. But that’s not what happened. Walz was a COMMAND SERGEANT MAJOR (“CSM”), and that makes all the difference in the world.

...A CSM is the senior NCO in an Army battalion. He is the battalion commander’s most trusted advisor. He is the standard-setter for every other NCO and junior enlisted soldier in that battalion. All eyes are on him. He is as close to a god on Earth as a soldier could ever be. The rank and position of a CSM is exceptionally hard to attain—very few NCOs ever make it. More importantly, taking on the duties of a CSM is a sacred trust. The 500+ soldiers in your battalion are trusting you to train them and hold them to a standard where they can fight, win and survive in combat. Those soldiers put their faith, trust and lives in your hands. I'll say it again: this is a sacred trust. I’ll now be blunt. In the spring of 2005, Walz walked away from that sacred trust by abandoning his post when he learned of an upcoming Iraq deployment. He was a coward. He was a quitter. He placed his own self interest over that of his soldiers. He was an NCO Courtney Massengale (IYKYK).

It is at this point that I would like to share a relevant personal anecdote to explain what it means when a CSM walks away on the eve of combat. When I was a battalion commander, just a few weeks before we were about to deploy to Afghanistan, and after we had done our intensive Joint Readiness Training Center rotation with the team we were taking to the fight--my CSM was relieved by the Division Commanding General because the CSM did something particularly stupid involving a junior enlisted soldier and got caught. I cannot describe how disruptive that was. It was like having the beating heart ripped out of my battalion. We overcame it, but it was tough—and it upset the entire NCO chain as we had to elevate multiple NCOs in the chain of responsibility to new positions they had not trained in, all because of our CSM being relieved. That disruption could have resulted in deaths in combat (thankfully it did not). If you are an Army battalion commander, NO ONE is more important than your CSM. So yeah--I understand the impact of Walz's cowardice better than almost all of the other people on this planet.

(Someone asked me in good faith whether or not Walz simply left one kind of service for a higher level of service in Congress. I thought long and hard about an appropriate analogy as an answer to that question, and finally came up with one: what Walz did is the moral equivalent of a mother dropping off her five pre-teen children at an orphanage in the dead of night so she could run for Congress. Yes, it’s that bad.)...

Kathianne
08-10-2024, 01:36 PM
Ok, now this, some cannot c & p:

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2024/08/10/walz-former-superior-he-quit-and-went-over-my-head-to-do-so-n3792960

Walz' Former Superior: He 'Quit' Rather Than Deploy, And Went Over My Head to Get OutEd Morrissey 1:00 PM | August 10, 2024

AP Photo/Abbie Parr, File
We covered this a couple of days ago based on a clip, but the entire interview with retired Minnesota National Guard Command Sergeant Major Doug Julin is worth watching. CNN's Laura Coates spent ten minutes on Thursday night trying to defend Tim Walz through most of it, but Julin would not be deterred. Not only did Walz know that his unit would be deployed when he suddenly retired, Walz back-doored Julin in applying for retirement, he explains, leaving his unit in the lurch.

And there's a reason Walz did that -- a very clear reason, Julin points out:

COATES: Is your concern that it's -- oh, go ahead. I do want to ask this question quickly, Sergeant Major, and I appreciate your time, but is your -- [crosstalk] -- concern about the manner in which he did not speak to you or his decision to retire, which he, as we've talked about, he would have been entitled to do, which causes the most concern? Because that is the focus that so many people are wondering about, whether he has done something wrong in service or done something personally to offend you.

JULIN: No, he did something wrong in service, as I stated before. He knew the policies and procedures and how we go to leadership and address issues or discuss issues and concerns out there. Again, backing up, he had told me, no, I'm going forward, we're going to go with the battalion, and go from there. So, I'm under the believing, he told me he was going forward. I'm underneath that believing that he's going forward. He went around me, which he should have addressed it with me so he could help me with some things out there.

COATES: Sergeant Major, this was really -- excuse me, I don't want to cut you off, sir. Finish your point, please, Sergeant Major.

JULIN: He went around me. And the fact is that there's a possibility he probably would have realized. I would have probably said, no, it's too late, you're going forward, because we'd already received our notification of sourcing. And there's one other little point out there that people say, well, he hadn't been notified yet. Yes, he had been notified.

Now, there's another step out there. It is what's called stop loss. Ninety days prior to the actual deployment, we received our orders. And at that time is what's called stop loss, where if you're in a position, you're going forward irregardless, unless there's some really major or process --

COATES: Hmm, okay.

JULIN: -- that gets you out from not going on the deployment itself. So, there's that window of opportunity there. People say, well, he never knew he was going forward. Yeah, he knew he was going forward. Had he gotten his orders yet? No. At that time, he had not.

"Stop-loss" was a bigger story in those days, a controversial policy that had the effect of extending enlistments, sometimes involuntarily. What Julin describes is the reason for the policy and why it's important to military planning and logistics, especially for key leadership positions -- such as Command Sergeants Major. Planned retirements allow for personnel movements ahead of deployments, which gives units such as Walz' time to have new leadership integrate fully into the mission.

Bailing out within weeks of a deployment, on the other hand, leaves the unit without fully effective leadership. That's why Julin would have rejected the retirement application at that stage -- and knowing that, Walz went around him and over his head instead of following the chain of command. And that's why Julin is so unhappy with Walz.

And it's not as if Walz didn't have any warning that a deployment would take place. In the first couple of years of the Iraq War, National Guard deployments were common (and also somewhat controversial for that reason), but Walz had a specific warning in the fall of 2004. Yet he waited until the unit got tasked for deployment to suddenly retire:

JULIN: ... And I'm going to kind of start back in the fall of 2004, is what we received, my commander and myself, of the 1st Brigade 34th Infantry Division Brigade Combat Team, what's called a notification of sourcing, which is a NOS. We were informed that we would be alerted to go to Iraq within the next upcoming year or time period out there, start preparing your team, getting your team together, and let's get the process in play.

From that going forward, we met with one of the 125 Field Artillery, introduced ourselves, talked to them, and gave them a heads up, this is what's happening, we don't know the full particulars, but we will get to it.

In approximately February of 2005, my boss, my commander, colonel, and the command team, we scheduled a meeting at Camp Ripley, Minnesota for a meeting, getting everybody together so all the battalion sergeant majors, the battalion commanders, and the staff would get to see each other and kind of start the team building event in that concept there.

At that meeting was Governor Tim Walz or Sergeant Major Tim Walz at the time. When we had the meeting and it was over with, he asked to speak with me, and we sat down and spoke one-on-one, and that's where he informed me, he says, just to let you know, I have put a bid in for Congress. I have not been selected yet, I have not been nominated yet, but I just want to let you know. He gave me a warning order, which we call a warning order out there.

Instead, Walz waited until June and backdoored Julin. And as a provisional CSM himself, Walz knew better, Julin tells Coates:

JULIN: The real thing is that the level that he held at that time, which could have been either a First Sergeant, but he was conditionally promoted to Command Sergeant Major, he knew the rules or the policies or the procedures and the manner of how to address issues going forward.

If this would have been an early entry, low-level ranking individual, different story. We would have understood that, okay, he didn't understand the processes and the procedures. Tim Walz knew the processes and the procedures. He went around me and above and beyond me and went -- and basically went to get somebody to back him, to get him out of there without -- it was just a backdoor process that he handled against me or against the battalion out there.

The most galling part of this, for Julin and others in the unit who deployed without Walz, is his at least tacit embrace of the term "combat veteran." The Iraq War deployment would have been the first combat assignment Walz got in his 24-year National Guard career, and he 'retired' abruptly to avoid it.

We know how Julin feels about that. How about the rest of Walz' unit? Well, consider just how angry a unit chaplain would have to be to call Walz a coward:

The chaplain of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s field artillery regiment said there is no excuse for the Democratic VP pick to have abandoned his National Guard unit before a critical deployment — not even running for Congress.

“In our world, to drop out after a WARNORD [warning order] is issued is cowardly, especially for a senior enlisted guy,” retired Capt. Corey Bjertness, now a pastor in Horace, North Dakota, told The Post.

Bjertness, 61, was the chaplain for the 1st Battalion, 125th Field Artillery, of which Walz was command sergeant major before retiring in 2005, two months before the unit deployed to Iraq. Walz has said he did so to run for Congress, and he was elected the next year.

“Running for Congress is not an excuse,” Bjertness said of Walz’s decision to quit. “I stopped everything and went to war. I left my wife with three teenagers and a 6-year-old and I was gone for 19 months.” Thomas Behrends, the command sergeant major who replaced Walz, previously told The Post of the Minnesota governor: “He had the opportunity to serve his country, and said ‘Screw you’ to the United States.”

They seem less than impressed, to say the least.

Clearly this is a legitimate issue for Walz, especially among his own men in the unit. Oddly, we haven't heard from any fellow soldiers defending Walz's actions, which one might expect if these were only allegations from people with political axes to grind. Perhaps we'll get a couple of testimonials later, but I'd bet it will come from veterans who weren't among those deployed in 2005.

Still, while this is a legit character issue, I wonder just how much impact this will have on the arc of the election. Most voters don't have military experience at all and will look at Walz' service for 24 years as a net positive even with its controversial ending. His repeated lies about the nature of that service will certainly erode that positive take. In the first days of Walz' selection, the controversy can help to define him and Harris in her choice of running mate.

But in truth, voters decide their choice about their own lives, not about the candidates' history. They want an end to corrosive inflation, shrinking wages, and the three-plus years of an invasion on the border. The more Republicans talk about anything else, the more they let Kamala Harris and Tim Walz off the hook for those failures. And I'd bet Democrats are a lot more comfortable talking about Walz' service than they are about Border Czar Kamala's sorry record.

Duane and I debated this yesterday in our Week in Review, too. Check that out when you get the chance. This week I even provided the audio!

Addendum: It's also in the Headlines, but be sure to read Cynical Publius' essay on Twitter/X [link fixed] as to why he sees this as a critical character and leadership issue.

Kathianne
08-10-2024, 02:27 PM
Walz's Chaplain! has quite a lot to say on cowardice:

https://nypost.com/2024/08/09/us-news/chaplain-calls-tim-walz-cowardly-for-leaving-national-guard/

Chaplain of Tim Walz’s National Guard battalion calls VP pick ‘cowardly’ for abandoning unitBy Isabel Vincent
Published Aug. 9, 2024, 3:59 p.m. ET

The chaplain of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s field artillery regiment said there is no excuse for the Democratic VP pick to have abandoned his National Guard unit before a critical deployment — not even running for Congress.

“In our world, to drop out after a WARNORD [warning order] is issued is cowardly, especially for a senior enlisted guy,” retired Capt. Corey Bjertness, now a pastor in Horace, North Dakota, told The Post.

Bjertness, 61, was the chaplain for the 1st Battalion, 125th Field Artillery, of which Walz was command sergeant major before retiring in 2005, two months before the unit deployed to Iraq. Walz has said he did so to run for Congress, and he was elected the next year.

Corey Bjertness (right, with a Norwegian Homeguard chaplain), who served as the chaplain for Tim Walz’s National Guard unit in Iraq, said there is “no excuse” for the Minnesota governor to have avoided combat.

“Running for Congress is not an excuse,” Bjertness said of Walz’s decision to quit. “I stopped everything and went to war. I left my wife with three teenagers and a 6-year-old and I was gone for 19 months.”

Thomas Behrends, the command sergeant major who replaced Walz, previously told The Post of the Minnesota governor: “He had the opportunity to serve his country, and said ‘Screw you’ to the United States.”

Bjertness added that leaving his troops at such a critical time was irresponsible of Walz, who served for more than two decades with the Army National Guard in Nebraska and Minnesota.

“That means that a new master sergeant needs to come in and to get to know everyone. Their task is to keep everyone safe and healthy,” the pastor said.

Tim Walz, right, and Gary Bloomberg, wearing helmets and combat attire.

Tim Walz (right) retired from the Army National Guard in the spring of 2005, on the eve of deployment to Iraq.
Courtesy of Tim Walz

“I needed to hit the ground running and take care of the troops — and tell them we were going to war,” Behrends, a Minnesota farmer, previously told The Post of the 500 soldiers under his command. “For a guy in that position, to quit is cowardice.”

Veteran Tom Schilling agreed — and said that criticism of Walz’s retirement is “not a political thing. It’s a character thing.”

Schilling, 67, had already served in the National Guard for 16 years when he re-enlisted after 9/11. He deployed with Walz’s unit to Iraq in 2005.

Tom Schilling in Iraq.

National Guardsman Tom Schilling — seen here on duty in Iraq — said Tim Walz “used stolen valor for personal gain.”
Courtesy of Schilling

Bjertness stressed that “Gov. Walz should receive the full honors due him for his 24 years of service as a guardsman. However, the other allegations, which the National Guard members I have visited with believe to be absolutely true, make me believe we have yet another politician who has a very loose commitment to the truth.”

Some veterans have long been upset that Walz, the two-term governor of Minnesota, for years publicly identified himself as a retired command master sergeant — despite having been demoted when he retired before completing the two-year commitment required for that rank.

On Thursday, Vice President Kamala Harris’ presidential campaign updated Walz’s online biography, removing a reference to him as “retired command sergeant major.” It now says the 60-year-old once served at the command sergeant major rank.

“He used stolen valor for personal gain,” Schilling told The Post. “It’s bad in the eyes of the soldiers, especially now if he is one step away from commander-in-chief and doesn’t step up to lead.”

Tim Walz and Kamala Harris waving before getting on the vice presidential plane.

Walz is campaigning to be vice president of the United States alongside Democratic presidential contender Kamala Harris.
REUTERS

Tim Walz in National Guard unigorm during basic training in 1981

Walz served for more than two decades with the Army National Guard in Nebraska and Minnesota.
US Army

Walz’s old unit, whose main job was running security for US convoys in Iraq, suffered three casualties during the deployment he missed — including Kyle Miller, 19, who joined the National Guard while still in high school, and David Berry, 37.

Schilling said he knew both men, and still spends time with their families to honor their deaths every year.

“He was a good kid, really upbeat and positive,” Schilling said of Miller. “He was the first guy to volunteer to ride in the back of the Humvee — the most dangerous part of the transport.” Miller died when his vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb in June 2006. Berry was killed several months later in a blast that critically wounded other guardsmen.

Thomas Behrends took over as command sergeant major when Walz stepped down and said the governor behaved as a “traitor.”
courtesy of Thomas Behrends

Miller’s mother told the Daily Mail this week that Walz had taken “the coward’s way out” by retiring before deployment.

“These kids, they put their life on hold for two years. Many of these kids had businesses that failed when they came back and they were newly married and the divorce rate went through the roof,” said Schilling. “They made the ultimate sacrifice.”

Schilling said he and his family are proud of his service, and that the soldiers he served with were likely better off with Behrends — whom he described as a “true leader” — than Walz.

Kyle Miller was 19 years old and still in high school when he joined the Army National Guard. He was killed in Iraq when his military vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb.

“Honestly, I think we lucked out when we got Command Sergeant Behrends,” he said of the CMS who took over after Walz retired. “Maybe Walz resigned because he knew he wasn’t up to the job, that he didn’t have the confidence to lead.”

Behrends, who is from Brewster, Minn., called the Democratic vice presidential candidate “a traitor” for the timing of his retirement.

“When your country calls, you are supposed to run into battle — not the other way,” the retired command sergeant major told The Post Tuesday. “He ran away. It’s sad.”