PDA

View Full Version : Internet Down In Iran?

Kathianne
08-02-2024, 02:40 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2024/08/02/iranian-wifi-attack-reported-collapse-as-israeli-hackers-strike/

Iran’s Internet Attacked—‘Reported Collapse’ As Israeli Hackers StrikeZak Doffman
Contributor
I cover security and surveillance
Follow

Aug 2, 2024,02:54am EDT
Updated Aug 2, 2024, 07:52am EDT

Iranian WiFi networks reportedly down after Israeli hackers claim attackgetty
A renowned Israeli hacking group claimed credit for attacking Iranian internet providers ahead of social media reports overnight that internet access was down in parts of the country. “In the next few minutes we will attack systems and internet providers in Iran,” WeRedEvils posted on Telegram Thursday evening.

The Jerusalem Post was first to cover the “reported collapse” of some Iranian networks, specifying WiFi instead of fixed line, and citing “many comments in Iran from users saying they had heard the internet was down in parts of the country and that there were internet blackouts in certain parts of Tehran.”

Early this morning, the hacking group posted again on Telegram, saying “we successfully broke into the Iranian communications system and collected a lot of information that was passed on to the security forces in Israel. We know there are some Iranians here who support the Revolutionary Guards, and we would like to contact them personally. Stop raising red flags and start raising a white flag.”

WeRedEvils has claimed credit for hacking Iran’s state infrastructure before, with a reported 2023 attack on the electricity grid. “This is a message from us to Iran,” they said at the time, “don't play with fire. The next strike will be harder with many more harmed, and it will be different from the cyber attacks that you're familiar with."

This news comes as Iran is reportedly preparing to avenge the attack in Tehran that killed Hamas’ political leader Ismail Haniyeh on Wednesday, and which has been attributed to Israel’s military. While a missile strike had been widely reported, an investigation by The New York Times cites regional sources claiming it was “an explosive device covertly smuggled into the Tehran guesthouse” some months ago.

It being the start of the weekend in Iran, we will see if any firmer reports emerge from inside the country through the rest of the day.

Follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn.
Zak Doffman

Meanwhile:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/report-iran-planning-to-launch-drones-at-israel-from-syria-as-part-of-threatened-retaliatory-attack/

Report: Iran planning to launch drones at Israel from Syria as part of threatened retaliatory attackToday, 5:14 pm

Iran is reportedly planning to launch drones at Israel from Syria as part of its threatened retaliatory attack for the assassinations of two leaders from its proxy terror groups over the past week.

Citing unnamed sources, the UK-based war monitor Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports that the drones could be launched from areas near Damascus and from the Syrian desert, to look like they were launched by Iran-backed militia groups in Iraq.

According to the SOHR report, the Iranian proxy groups have also ordered operatives not to target American military bases if the United States does not participate in defending Israel during the attack.

US President Joe Biden yesterday stressed America’s commitment to defending Israel’s security “against all threats from Iran.”

The threats come after Israel assassinated Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr on Tuesday, days after the terror group’s rocket attack killed 12 young people in the Druze town of Majdal Shams in the Golan Heights. The death of Hamas political chief Ismail Haniyeh, which came just hours later in Tehran, was widely attributed to Israel as well, though it has not claimed responsibility for it.

SOHR, run by a single person, has regularly been accused by Syrian war analysts of false reporting and inflating casualty numbers as well as inventing them wholesale.

Gunny
08-02-2024, 08:09 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2024/08/02/iranian-wifi-attack-reported-collapse-as-israeli-hackers-strike/

Meanwhile:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/report-iran-planning-to-launch-drones-at-israel-from-syria-as-part-of-threatened-retaliatory-attack/

So Iran is going to launch attacks from Syria. The same Syria where Putin and Assad are buddies?

Small world:smoke:

revelarts
08-03-2024, 08:20 AM
Why would Iran attack Israel now?
It's a mystery.

Gunny
08-03-2024, 10:33 AM
Why would Iran attack Israel now?
It's a mystery.

Iran's stated goal is the destruction of Israel. No mystery. When Iran believes it can and get away with it, it will.

Black Diamond
08-03-2024, 12:02 PM
Iran's stated goal is the destruction of Israel. No mystery. When Iran believes it can and get away with it, it will.

And israel has the Holocaust in her rear view mirror.

revelarts
08-03-2024, 12:25 PM

Am i wrong in noting that India's and Pakistan's goals have been to destroy each other, but somehow it's boiled & simmered on for like 70 years now without major conflict. & both have nukes.

Real world, sometimes it's not best practice to start an all out war. If there must be war a Cold War is a better option.
Not every problem is a nail.

Iran is a real threat.... to Israel.
But from the actions in the past weeks it seems that Israel is a threat to Iran as well.
(not to mention decades of U.S. economic sanctions, including medical sanctions, broken treaties and the like. While at the same time building up Israel to the teeth in every way possible.)

Look here's 1 of my starting position on war justification related issues:
IF the same things were done to US as had been done to Country X in the the lat few weeks, would we be justified in going to war?
I know some folks can NOT bring themselves to think that a "BAD GUY" deserves or should get any "EXCUSE" for breathing, but I'm not there.

Also, I'm well aware that many have wanted to ATTACK Iran long ago for the wicked crime of threatening America with harsh language since 1976. For Not liking America. How dare a country NOT like the US?!?
It makes us uncomfortable ... maybe we should "turn them into a parking lot"? They have NO good reason to look in the rear view mirror to complain about or feel threatened by the U.S. right? THEY are simply bad guys. (previous U.S. history in Iran DOES NOT Factor into the discussion.. that's NO excuse.) But everything they've done bad since 1976 IS a factor to be bring to the table as good reasons to back Israel's moves against them 1000%.
We're the Good guys who should not consider ANYTHING we've done in the region as so bad that any nations should be upset about it.
Maybe a few mistakes, but all with good intent, spreading democracy, freedom etc..
Any good nation, or citizen would get that.

Gunny
08-04-2024, 09:59 AM
Am i wrong in noting that India's and Pakistan's goals have been to destroy each other, but somehow it's boiled & simmered on for like 70 years now without major conflict. & both have nukes.

Real world, sometimes it's not best practice to start an all out war. If there must be war a Cold War is a better option.
Not every problem is a nail.

Iran is a real threat.... to Israel.
But from the actions in the past weeks it seems that Israel is a threat to Iran as well.
(not to mention decades of U.S. economic sanctions, including medical sanctions, broken treaties and the like. While at the same time building up Israel to the teeth in every way possible.)

Look here's 1 of my starting position on war justification related issues:
IF the same things were done to US as had been done to Country X in the the lat few weeks, would we be justified in going to war?
I know some folks can NOT bring themselves to think that a "BAD GUY" deserves or should get any "EXCUSE" for breathing, but I'm not there.

Also, I'm well aware that many have wanted to ATTACK Iran long ago for the wicked crime of threatening America with harsh language since 1976. For Not liking America. How dare a country NOT like the US?!?
It makes us uncomfortable ... maybe we should "turn them into a parking lot"? They have NO good reason to look in the rear view mirror to complain about or feel threatened by the U.S. right? THEY are simply bad guys. (previous U.S. history in Iran DOES NOT Factor into the discussion.. that's NO excuse.) But everything they've done bad since 1976 IS a factor to be bring to the table as good reasons to back Israel's moves against them 1000%.
We're the Good guys who should not consider ANYTHING we've done in the region as so bad that any nations should be upset about it.
Maybe a few mistakes, but all with good intent, spreading democracy, freedom etc..
Any good nation, or citizen would get that.

Yes, you are wrong. Apples will never be oranges.