PDA

View Full Version : Did social media fan the flames of riot in Southport?

Gunny
07-31-2024, 06:53 PM
It sure stirs up crap here.

Southport attack: Did social media fan the flames of riot? (bbc.com) (https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd1e8d7llg9o)

fj1200
08-01-2024, 05:06 AM
Short answer: Yes.

Slightly longer answer: Social media magnifies everything.

Kathianne
08-01-2024, 06:17 AM
It sure stirs up crap here.

Southport attack: Did social media fan the flames of riot? (bbc.com) (https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd1e8d7llg9o)

Not so sure this wasn't just a bottom up reaction to, 'Nothing to see here,' that's become the post 9/11 norm.

Gunny
08-01-2024, 11:30 AM
Brings up the question: How do you control this shit equally and justly (that lets out the US government), without stepping all over everybody's freedom of speech? I think we've allowed those who don't understand the responsibility of freedom to push the edges too far in more ways than one. This is just one.

Black Diamond
08-01-2024, 09:59 PM
I've seen people get away with hinting at things online they shouldn't be hinting at.

Gunny
08-02-2024, 07:55 AM
I've seen people get away with hinting at things online they shouldn't be hinting at.Depends on your political leanings whether or not it's a general statement or direct threat. Kind of like Trump being convicted for selling his product. Depends on who is listening and how they want to use/misuse it.

I do recall in days of yore having to deal with flakes who consider something along the line of wouldn't bother me if this idiot was dead, or disappeared or whatever a threat simply because it went against their fanatical, political devotion. The difference between communicating a threat and wishful thinking should be clear. I wouldn't bet the farm on it nowadays since the dictionary has become the playground of idiots.

Black Diamond
08-02-2024, 05:41 PM
For me, "somebody oughta" is too much. Especially when thousands read it. But i don't know where 1a lands.

Gunny
08-02-2024, 06:00 PM
For me, "somebody oughta" is too much. Especially when thousands read it. But i don't know where 1a lands.Iffy. I say that only because of the times and the left. No matter how vile, unChristian-like, or issues-driven, wising someone would die is not against the law. Yet.

I normally don't say such things. Nowadays it could be an excuse to have your firearms confiscated and they ARE looking for excuses.