PDA

View Full Version : Crimea Video Shows Russian Tourists Flee Beach as ATACMS Bomblets Rain Down

revelarts
06-30-2024, 08:20 PM
anyone post this one yet?

Crimea Video Shows Russian Tourists Flee Beach as ATACMS Bomblets Rain Down
newsweek
https://www.newsweek.com/video-crimea-russian-tourists-beach-bombs-atacms-1917131

Video footage of a missile strike on a Crimean beach filled with tourists has surfaced on social media.

The video shows a beach in Sevastopol, Crimea, which was struck by a series of explosions on June 23. The footage, captured by a security camera, shows hundreds of people beginning to run away from the water, before the impact of cluster warheads starts.

In the video, the impact of M74 submunitions, thought to be part of a MGM-140 ATACMS missile, starts throwing up water in the ocean as tourists from Russia flee towards the shore. Several clusters hit the beach, resulting in explosions across the sand and in nearby buildings. Russian officials said that the incident resulted in "numerous casualties" among civilians in Crimea, with four people killed and and over 100 injured.

The event was caused by Russian air defenses shooting down a series of cluster warhead missiles, one of which altered course as a result. The Russian ministry of defense said that four out of the five missiles launched were shot down, adding: "Another missile, as a result of the impact of air defense systems at the final stage, deviated from the flight path with the warhead exploding in the air over the city."

"The detonation of the fragmentation warhead of the fifth American missile in the air led to numerous casualties among civilians in Sevastopol."

revelarts
07-01-2024, 08:05 AM
So are we not supposed to think about this?

Black Diamond
07-01-2024, 09:32 AM
Targeting civilians?

Kathianne
07-01-2024, 12:14 PM
Targeting civilians?

If I understood revelarts posts, Russia tried to explode the missile, failed and it went off course. Unintended consequences on both sides. Certainly unhappy for civilians, war should be avoided, everyone stay in their own yard.

fj1200
07-01-2024, 02:07 PM
So are we not supposed to think about this?

Which part? That a US missile was involved? That civilians were impacted? That US materiel had a less than 20% survivability rate against Russian defenses?

Black Diamond
07-01-2024, 02:37 PM
Which part? That a US missile was involved? That civilians were impacted? That US materiel had a less than 20% survivability rate against Russian defenses?

I am guessing he referred to civilians

revelarts
07-01-2024, 02:37 PM
On Cam: Civilians In Crimea In Panic After Ukraine Missile Attack; Putin Blames U.S., Vows Revenge
https://www.hindustantimes.com/videos/on-cam-civilians-in-crimea-in-panic-after-ukraine-missile-attack-putin-blames-u-s-vows-revenge-101719221659971.html

"At least four people were killed in a Ukrainian missile attack on Crimea. Shrapnel of the missile fell on people relaxing on a beach in Sevastopol city, the Russian-installed governor said. Russia said Ukraine used U.S.-supplied ATACMS missiles in the attack and said Washington bears “responsibility” for the “terror attack”. The Kremlin also vowed to hit back, saying the attack “won’t be left unanswered”.."

US ATACMs in Ukraine gamble with future civilians' lives

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/atacms-ukraine/

Rockets from the advanced weapons system carry hundreds of cluster bombs, many of which will live on long after the war is over.
ANALYSIS | EUROPE
Regions Europe Ukraine War
TITUS PEACHEY
OCT 21, 2023
The Biden administration’s decision to send ATACM rockets loaded with cluster munitions to Ukraine ignores the many decades of human suffering caused by these indiscriminate weapons. It also disregards a strong international consensus that acknowledges that there is no responsible use of cluster munitions. This is not acceptable. We need a new policy.

My wife and I began learning about cluster bombs more than 40 years ago while working in Laos with Mennonite Central Committee. On trip after trip throughout the countryside, we met families whose lives had been shattered by unexploded cluster bombs that still lurked in gardens, paddy dikes, school yards or pastureland.

In 2000, I met Mr. Phou Vieng who was not even safe in his own home. As he attempted to anchor his bedposts in the earthen floor, his digging tool struck a buried cluster bomblet which exploded and tore off an arm and leg, nearly killing him.

This cluster bomb had been dropped from an airplane, at least 25 years earlier during the U.S. air war (1964-1973). Like countless other victims of cluster bombs whom we met, Phou Vieng was not the target. Rather, unexploded cluster bombs had turned Laos into a lethal landscape of roulette which terrorized Phou Vieng when he was merely trying to create a comfortable place to sleep...

Cluster bombs, banned in more than 100 countries, killed hundreds of Ukrainians
SEPTEMBER 5, 2023
https://www.npr.org/2023/09/05/1197578353/a-new-study-examines-the-toll-of-cluster-munitions
HEARD ON MORNING EDITION
-
NPR's Leila Fadel talks to Mary Wareham of Human Rights Watch about the Cluster Munition Coalition report which says there were 987 casualties from the weapons in 2022 — mostly Ukrainian civilians.

LEILA FADEL, HOST:

We have new data on the toll of cluster munitions. That's a kind of bomb that scatters dozens of smaller bombs. They're banned in more than 100 countries. But Russia and Ukraine have used them. The U.S. is actually supplying them to Ukraine. And a report out today from the Cluster Munition Coalition documents 987 deaths and injuries from attacks in 2022. That's compared to zero the year before. Mary Wareham is the arms advocacy director at Human Rights Watch and worked on that report. And she joins me now to discuss the findings. Good morning, Mary....

BTW are we blaming Iran or Hezbolah for supplying weapons and aid to Hamas?
We're not saying they bear any responsibility for deaths right?
I mean Iran didn't TELL them to uses the weapons like they have right?

sorry I forgot it's not about responsibility, or being arms dealers (profits up over 30% last year BTW) it's about the other folks being evil.
But I've been told I'm being "simple".

revelarts
07-01-2024, 02:38 PM
FJ comment on whatever you want, or not.

Black Diamond
07-01-2024, 02:43 PM
On Cam: Civilians In Crimea In Panic After Ukraine Missile Attack; Putin Blames U.S., Vows Revenge
https://www.hindustantimes.com/videos/on-cam-civilians-in-crimea-in-panic-after-ukraine-missile-attack-putin-blames-u-s-vows-revenge-101719221659971.html

"At least four people were killed in a Ukrainian missile attack on Crimea. Shrapnel of the missile fell on people relaxing on a beach in Sevastopol city, the Russian-installed governor said. Russia said Ukraine used U.S.-supplied ATACMS missiles in the attack and said Washington bears “responsibility” for the “terror attack”. The Kremlin also vowed to hit back, saying the attack “won’t be left unanswered”. Watch this video for more information."

US ATACMs in Ukraine gamble with future civilians' lives

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/atacms-ukraine/

Rockets from the advanced weapons system carry hundreds of cluster bombs, many of which will live on long after the war is over.
ANALYSIS | EUROPE
Regions Europe Ukraine War
TITUS PEACHEY
OCT 21, 2023
The Biden administration’s decision to send ATACM rockets loaded with cluster munitions to Ukraine ignores the many decades of human suffering caused by these indiscriminate weapons. It also disregards a strong international consensus that acknowledges that there is no responsible use of cluster munitions. This is not acceptable. We need a new policy.

My wife and I began learning about cluster bombs more than 40 years ago while working in Laos with Mennonite Central Committee. On trip after trip throughout the countryside, we met families whose lives had been shattered by unexploded cluster bombs that still lurked in gardens, paddy dikes, school yards or pastureland.

In 2000, I met Mr. Phou Vieng who was not even safe in his own home. As he attempted to anchor his bedposts in the earthen floor, his digging tool struck a buried cluster bomblet which exploded and tore off an arm and leg, nearly killing him.

This cluster bomb had been dropped from an airplane, at least 25 years earlier during the U.S. air war (1964-1973). Like countless other victims of cluster bombs whom we met, Phou Vieng was not the target. Rather, unexploded cluster bombs had turned Laos into a lethal landscape of roulette which terrorized Phou Vieng when he was merely trying to create a comfortable place to sleep...

Cluster bombs, banned in more than 100 countries, killed hundreds of Ukrainians
SEPTEMBER 5, 2023
https://www.npr.org/2023/09/05/1197578353/a-new-study-examines-the-toll-of-cluster-munitions
HEARD ON MORNING EDITION
-
NPR's Leila Fadel talks to Mary Wareham of Human Rights Watch about the Cluster Munition Coalition report which says there were 987 casualties from the weapons in 2022 — mostly Ukrainian civilians.

LEILA FADEL, HOST:

We have new data on the toll of cluster munitions. That's a kind of bomb that scatters dozens of smaller bombs. They're banned in more than 100 countries. But Russia and Ukraine have used them. The U.S. is actually supplying them to Ukraine. And a report out today from the Cluster Munition Coalition documents 987 deaths and injuries from attacks in 2022. That's compared to zero the year before. Mary Wareham is the arms advocacy director at Human Rights Watch and worked on that report. And she joins me now to discuss the findings. Good morning, Mary....

BTW are we blaming Iran or Hezbolah for supping weapons and aid to Hamas?

sorry I forgot it's not about responsibility, or being arms dealers (profits up over 30% last year BTW) it's about the other folks being evil.

I am guessing the US govt knows their missiles will be used against Russia (in Russia itself) and that civilians will die as a result

fj1200
07-01-2024, 04:07 PM
FJ comment on whatever you want, or not.

You seemed concerned nobody replied. But it's all horrible.

BTW are we blaming Iran or Hezbolah for supplying weapons and aid to Hamas?

Were civilians targeted?

Whether they get blame or not Hamas used them and are now suffering the consequences. Russians suffered some consequences.

revelarts
07-01-2024, 05:44 PM
You seemed concerned nobody replied. But it's all horrible.

Were civilians targeted?

Whether they get blame or not Hamas used them and are now suffering the consequences. Russians suffered some consequences.

Well my thought was that it might be important to think about,
Since if Russian civilians (or Military or military targets in Russia) are killed by American weapons there might be some consequences.

Seems everyone's cool with that though.

fj1200
07-01-2024, 08:47 PM
Well my thought was that it might be important to think about,
Since if Russian civilians (or Military or military targets in Russia) are killed by American weapons there might be some consequences.

Seems everyone's cool with that though.

Read into it what you need.

revelarts
07-01-2024, 10:27 PM
Read into it what you need.
Silence does speak sometimes. I don't need to read into though.

Since Russian civilians have been killed & military targets inside Russia have been hit by American weapons.
Are you concerned that Americans might suffer consequences?

fj1200
07-02-2024, 09:16 AM
Silence does speak sometimes. I don't need to read into though.

Since Russian civilians have been killed & military targets inside Russia have been hit by American weapons.
Are you concerned that Americans might suffer consequences?

No, I don't think Americans will suffer consequences because of this incident. But who knows what tomorrow may hold.