PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Vietnam, Putin seeks new 'security architecture' for Asia

Gunny
06-20-2024, 12:22 PM
Visiting Vietnam, Putin seeks new 'security architecture' for Asia | Reuters (https://www.reuters.com/world/russian-president-putin-arrives-vietnam-state-visit-2024-06-19/)

fj1200
06-20-2024, 12:52 PM
I imagine if push came to shove Vietnam would realize their future is tied to the West and not what's left of the East.

Kathianne
06-20-2024, 02:38 PM
I imagine if push came to shove Vietnam would realize their future is tied to the West and not what's left of the East.

I was thinking the same. Much more like Hong Kong.

Gunny
06-21-2024, 05:14 PM

I was thinking the same. Much more like Hong Kong.Proximity and self-survival might dictate choosing a path it doesn't like. Remember Finland and Ukraine caught between Germany and Russia? Both still get fingers pointed at them.

Kathianne
06-23-2024, 10:35 AM
Related:

https://en.baoquocte.vn/vietnam-expresses-deep-concern-over-china-philippines-ship-collision-spokesperson-275824.html#google_vignette

Vietnam expresses deep concern over China-Philippines ship collision: Spokesperson21/06/2024 East SeaFollow en.baoquocte.vn (WVR) on

WVR/VNA - Vietnam is keeping a close watch on and is deeply concerned at the information on the recent ship collision between China and the Philippines near the Bai Co May (Second Thomas Shoal), Spokesperson of the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs Pham Thu Hang said on June 21, 2024.
Latest

Responding to a reporter’s query on Vietnam’s reaction to the June 17 incident, the Spokesperson further said Vietnam calls on relevant sides to exercise maximum restraint, behave in line with international law, respect sovereign rights and jurisdiction over coastal countries’ exclusive economic zones and continental shelves as defined in accordance with the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, and seriously and fully implement the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea (DOC), the Spokesperson said.

They should respect and observe international rules on the safety of navigation and overflight, and the prevention and control of collisions and crashes at sea, and should handle disputes and differences by peaceful measures, contributing to maintaining peace, stability, and development in the region, Spokesperson Hang stressed.